Windows SkyDrive changes

Discussion in 'Windows' started by dragonbite, Apr 24, 2012.

1. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

Users of Windows SkyDrive take note:

Windows SkyDrive has just been updated. As part of this update, your SkyDrive has been reduced from 25 GB to 7 GB (unless you have >7 GB of files already uploaded).

For now, and until who knows when, users of SkyDrive who have had their account before April 22, 2012 will have the option to upgrade their SkyDrive (back) to 25GB for free, but you have to do something to get it.

1. Navigate to your SkyDrive in any browser.
    2. You should see a banner above your file listing with a link to your free upgrade. If not, look for "Manage Storage" menu item on the left-hand side menues.
    3. You be put in the Manage storage page and under SkyDrive Free you should see a button "Free upgrade!"
    4. Click it.

On the plus side, there are now 3 tiers or extra space (+20/+50/+100GB) you can purchase for actually a very reasonable rate ($10/$25/$50 per year). Note those prices are per year, most other services charge per month.

There is also a new SkyDrive application they are offering. If you have used anything like Dropbox, SpiderOak or Live Mesh this operates very similarly.

The application will synchronize the contents of your <username>/SkyDrive folder with the SkyDrive cloud drive.

One advantage of this, though, is that these files are now as accessible as all the other files in SkyDrive to add/delete, move and edit. Previously Live Mesh put the synchronized files in a location where you could not do much with it, and was separate from the files you upload or edit in a browser. No longer, they are one and the same.

Supported systems include Windows Vista, 7 & 8, Mac OS X (Lion), iPhone/iPad and Windows 7 Phone.

2. richardc

richardc Administrator
    Staff Member

I installed the Mac SkyDrive application last night. SkyDrive now shows up in the Finder sidebar just like the old iDisk, which is a MobileMe feature that isn't available in the iCloud service that is meant to replace MobileMe. Since I was a previous Windows Live/SkyDrive user, I upgraded my 7 GB to 25 GB for free.

I moved files that I had in my Windows Live Mesh sync folder into the SkyDrive folder and they quickly got uploaded. One feature that didn't make it from Mesh to SkyDrive is the ability to view all files and folders on a participating Mesh computer (not just those in the sync folder), but I can't say I ever took advantage of that capability.

Today I installed SkyDrive on my Windows computer at work, and it didn't take long for my SkyDrive synced files to show up locally. I have some files in my SkyDrive Photos folder, but apparently it must be a separate step to put them/view them in a web album.

3. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

I just added the Skydrive/Pictures folder to my Pictures Library, and Live Photo automatically added them the next time I opened it. Not sure what web album you are referring to.

4. richardc

richardc Administrator
    Staff Member

I see now that Windows Live Photo Gallery has an option to publish an album to SkyDrive. If I do that, the album folder shows up in the under the Photos category of my SkyDrive (but not under the Photos folder in the Documents category). Conversely, photos or folders under the Photos folder in the Documents category don't appear in the Photos category. (Categories are the links I see on the left under SkyDrive: Files, Documents, Photos.)

Then I discovered that on my SkyDrive web page if I select a folder (whether it's under the Documents or Photos category) there is a Share folder link on the right that allows me to create a link that I can share with someone else to view my photos on a web page, one by one or in a slideshow. Thats' the photo sharing (web album) that I was interested in.
    [hr]
    Just a clarification. It turns out that there is an option to get to files on your PC that are not in your SkyDrive sync folder, but it has to be a Windows PC and not a Mac.

5. jscheef

jscheef Administrator
    Staff Member

There is support for Android - just not from Microsoft. I installed an app called Folder Sync Lite on my Transformer Prime tablet. The app claims to support SkyDrive, Dropbox, SugarSync, Ubuntu One, Box.net, LiveDrive, HiDrive, Google Docs, NetDocuments, Amazon S3, FTP, SFTP, WebDAV, and Windows shares (Samba/CIFS). So far I ain't synced nuttin. Stay tuned to this channel for further updates.

I find it interesting that Microsoft has a OneNote client for Android but no SkyDrive client. Once I get sync going on the tablet, I try syncing a OneNote file to see how that works.

Jim

6. richardc

richardc Administrator
    Staff Member

Microsoft has a page that mentions third party apps that support SkyDrive (including for Android): https://apps.live.com/skydrive/allapps .