Windows 8 RT and PortableApps - no go

Discussion in 'Windows' started by snh, Jan 23, 2013.

1. snh

snh Well-Known Member
    Director

Note that Windows 8 RT does not recognize software not installed from the Windows App Store (or whatever it's called)

What this means is that while a Windows 8 RT tablet w/ a USB port may look like it supports PortableApps, it does not.

snh

2. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

What kind of Windows RT device did you try it out on? If it were the Surface, that is an ARM chip and the Portable App may not run on ARM but may have a chance on the Windows 8 Pro which works on an x86 architecture.

Of course if somebody has a Windows 8 Pro system on an Intel/AMD (non-ARM) system, that could be confirmed very easily.

Windows RT is more limited, but Windows 8 Pro is supposed to be able to run Windows 7 Apps. I suspect that this will mean PortableApps will be able to run as well.

3. snh

snh Well-Known Member
    Director

Windows 8 Pro will definitely support non-app-store applications, by definition. Basically, Windows 8 RT is not Windows, but a Windows-like OS. The whole point of Windows is to sell third party apps, so it's pretty curious that Windows RT would cut that off. I recommend that DACS members, being advanced users, stay away from Windows 8 RT.

snh

4. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

Also being advanced users, I would hope they would research and understand that Windows RT is not Windows 8 Pro just like the iOS (on, say, an iPad) is not OS X (on a Mac).