Windows 7 Start-up or Recovery disks

Discussion in 'Ask DACS' started by dragonbite, Nov 28, 2011.

1. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

I have a brand spanking-new Windows 7 laptop coming in a couple of days and as I have been using Linux so much for the past few years, I am not sure how to do some features in Windows, let alone Windows 7. I hope to be able to do this before I hand it off to the user (my wife).

Since the system will be coming clean, how do I save this state so if the machine gets borked I can return it to this pre-messed state? It is a Dell Inspiron 17R model, if that makes any difference.
    • Do I want to create "Recovery Disks" and what does that get me?
    • If there is a Windows and a Manufacturer version, which one is preferred?
    • Will anything be different if I run these after removing the inevitable crap-ware (will it return the computer to a state without the crapware, or the exact same state the computer comes in the beginning)?
    • How do I use this media to return the comptuer to at the "pristine" state?
    • After it is "recovered", will I need to re-install all of my programs and return the files from backups?
    • I assume this does not include personal files or settings (C:/Document and Settings/*), and that I will have to have the system run routine backups to cover them

In case you haven't figured it out, I am lousy about backups and recovery. Except this isn't going to be my computer so I need to be a little more consistent and protected.

If I am able to, I am hoping to clone the system as well, but that I should be able to handle easily enough. I just don't know how or what is the best method for doing it through Windows.

2. jscheef

jscheef Administrator
    Staff Member

This question was addressed during the AskDACS session at the December meeting.