Windows 7 PRO to Windows 8 PRO?

Discussion in 'Ask DACS' started by liquidlevel, Oct 18, 2012.

1. liquidlevel

liquidlevel Guest

Can someone please explain why in the world a user has to reinstall all their applications if they upgrade from Windows 7 pro to Windows 8 pro?

I called MS about this and could not get a straight answer. If you are running Windows 7 home or basic then app reinstalls are not needed. This is such a joke....Why do they call it a upgrade then?

2. liquidlevel

liquidlevel Guest

Windows 8 follow up

I have been running Windows 8 pro 64bit for weeks now. I don't see any benefit with it over 7. Microsoft simply rearranged the locations of simple functions such as shut down pc. The least they could do is let you have a shortcut for shutdown in the so called start menu. Moving icons to the new start menu , when compared to the actual metro app short cuts, looks horrible. It's like having an 8 bit photo next to a 32 bit photo. Microsoft simply revamped windows to stay competitive against apples modern UI. I do like the frown face in the bsod, that is about it though. Also, never thought the day would come where I would have to create a shortcut for the control panel on my desktop... Such a joke.

3. jscheef

jscheef Administrator
    Staff Member

Logan,

This is a great question for Jay Ferron, the speaker at the December general meeting.

Jim

4. liquidlevel

liquidlevel Guest

The Microsoft reps had no clue what they were talking about. I never had to reinstall my apps, contrary to what the MS reps advised prior to my win 8 purchase. I'm still highly dissatisfied with windows 8. If I had supporting hardware like a touch screen monitor then I'm sure I'd find more use out of it. How they sold 40 million enterprise licenses already is beyond me. Our group would just strip the modern UI and drop it down to a windows 7 state if for some reason we had to go with 8

5. richardc

richardc Administrator
    Staff Member

I upgraded this weekend from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 8 Pro on a MacBook Pro, taking advantage before the price goes up after January 31. My desktop gadgets are gone, as I was warned by the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant, but all my other programs and settings were preserved. I had a problem with the trackpad not being recognized, but got it working from the advice here, When I was ready to remove the Windows.old folder I followed these instructions.

There's a lot to figure out with Windows 8--a lot of things that don't appear until you move the mouse to a corner, or right click on the Start screen or in a Windows 8 app (one from the Windows 8 Store). For me it's kind of entertaining to figure out how things work, but I bet most people would get frustrated. From the Windows 8 workshop at the Microsoft Store I learned that you can use the vertical scrolling on your mouse to do the horizontal scrolling that's necessary in the Start screen and Windows 8 apps.

There's a shortage of good apps in the Windows 8 Store, but I see some that are promising. I took advantage of the limited-time offer from Zinio and ordered a few magazines. They look great in full screen in the Zinio app. I also like the Reader app (built in to Windows 8, not the one from Adobe) for viewing PDFs for the same reason. The Barnes & Noble NOOK app is also promising, but is not yet reliable for syncing your last page read in books and magazines with other NOOK devices and reading apps.

6. liquidlevel

liquidlevel Guest

I'm just disappointed by the OS. It's obvious to me that Microsft decided to completely start over with a new UI to compete with the all so innovative Apple IOS. By doing so, they spit it all out at once instead of gradually transitioning the end user. Apple at least knew to provide the launch pad as an option for people who are used to the IOS layout and to leave the rest of the OS alone. I'm thinking about purchasing a leap motion device for my win 8 box instead of tossing my LCD display for a touch screen one. Therein lies one of the major problems with windows 8, how to take advantage of the modern UI. Also, the install was ridiculous. I upgraded from win 7 pro 64bit to win 8 pro 64 bit. During the install it scans your pc for any existing programs that won't be compatible with win 8. You can't skip this step if it finds any incompatible software. So, it found that perfect disk wasn't compatible and asked me if the install could remove it. I clicked YES. Comes back saying it couldn't be uninstalled. I couldn't get past this. I'm banging my head thinking what the hell I'm supposed to do. Then it dawns on me that I should go to the program folder and delete the executable and lo and behold the install finished. Now this is not user friendly. Can you imagine how many calls microsft probably got on this issue?

7. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

Probably not too many. I don't know how many (non-techy) people upgrade from Windows 7 as opposed to getting Windows 8 already installed (and the OEM already working through these issues to produce an image). I imagine, though, that it isn't all that big of a number.

8. liquidlevel

liquidlevel Guest

Over 4 million upgrades were sold.

9. dragonbite

To how many non-techy people?

10. liquidlevel

liquidlevel Guest

Seeing as how most techy people perform full installs as opposed to upgrades, I would say a majority went to average users. But I suppose I could possibly be the only upgrader out of the 4 + million to have this problem. I am certain that this thread will close most likely in your favor.

11. dragonbite

I'm not doubting that you had issues with the update, and it has got to be frustrating not getting straight or correct answers from so-called "experts". You're right, that having to manually delete a file is not intuitive.

I know in my office when Vista came out, we got what was counted as Vista licenses but we didn't install Vista with them. Instead we downgraded the installation of them all to XP. There is no plan to install Windows 8 on any of our machines but whether any purchases we make count as Windows 7 or Windows 8 is hard to tell.

I wonder how many other (companies, small businesses, etc.) are doing something similar?