Who's getting Windows 7?

Discussion in 'General & Off-topic' started by dragonbite, Oct 22, 2009.

1. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

Now that Windows 7 is officially released, who is going to go out and buy it (as opposed to getting it pre-installed on a new system)?

I may be tempted but my systems cannot run it as they are (only 512 MB of RAM).

2. dirkfeather

dirkfeather Member

No need for it. I'm not sure if I'd pay for an OS again as long as Linux is free.
    -Dirk

3. dragonbite

Aww... c'mon. How are you going to know how good Linux is if you don't spend time "behind enemy lines"? ;)

Believe me, whenever I install Windows XP I get reminded just why I prefer using Linux. I still don't know how Windows can NOT recognize the ethernet card (and thus go online) :yikes I have to boot into Linux to get the details on it and then try and download the drivers. Yeeeesh!

4. jasetaro

jasetaro Administrator
    Staff Member

No need to buy it, I got it a couple of weeks ago as part my MS Action Pack subscription... I don't have any plans to install it at the moment though, I'm quite happy with WinXP and OS X 10.5 for the time being.

5. dirkfeather

dirkfeather Member

"Aww... c'mon. How are you going to know how good Linux is if you don't spend time "behind enemy lines"? "

I do that at the office! :angry

6. snh

snh Well-Known Member
    Director

Wife's new laptop (MSI A4000) came with Windows 7. It's nice.

7. dragonbite

I've been fooling around with it a little bit, especially watching the Olmpics because the Silverlight video player works better in Windows than on Linux (go figure ;) ).

Pretty nice, overall, though I have to say a number of "new features" I've seen in KDE years ago. At least it's nice to see it in Windows too I guess.

This was the best version for driver support, though it still didn't like my scanner. My printer (bought at the same time, in 2000) was recognized as well as my tablet and webcam!

Unfortunately my CPU can't handle their virtualization so I cannot run "XP Mode", and my Graphics card can't handle Aero.

Thankfully OpenOffice.org works because my Office suite isn't supported. I guess they don't want back-support things as far as Office 2000?!

The Upgrade Advisor was great in letting me know beforehand what was going to work and what wasn't.

8. snh

snh Well-Known Member
    Director

OpenOffice is horrid. So is IBM Symphony. Software602 had an ok suite at one time, but I'm not sure what the state of that is.

Our HoS at work is migrating to Windows 7 this weekend. I can only guess at how badly the migration is going to go, since he didn't clean up his current XP Pro install.

Tip: If your current OS/setup isn't ship-shape, a new OS is not going to fix anything.

Ubuntu seems ok - I like it but I could never convince my family to migrate over to any flavor of UNIX/Linux, nor my employer.

Sean

9. Veebee3

Veebee3 Member

In my opinion windows 7 did a great job at hitting the home user market, however, I think it missed the mark on the work/domain environment.

1) Windows 7 is very locked down with the User Access Controls and disrupts software installations
    2) Cumbersome to switch between local and domain accounts.
    3) You have to enable NTLM authentication to access samba servers, by default NTLMv2 is used.
    4) I personally have found Disk Defragmenter to be less informative.
    5) The "run" option is gone be default

Everything else seems to be a nice addition to windows like aero and and the improvements to its default mail client.