What Linux distribution(s) do you use?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by dragonbite, Feb 21, 2012.

1. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

Curious as to which distribution or distributions you use between work, home, servers, tvs, tablets, etc.

(if a mod or somebody could sticky this?)[hr]
    (figure since I started this thread, I should answer it ;) )

• My IBM Thinkpad T42 laptop (primary system)
      • Currently openSUSE 12.1 running KDE
      • Ubuntu 11.10 with Unity, Unity 2D, Gnome-shell and Cinnamon (took out the hard drive, but I still have it somewhere...)
      • Windows 7 (yeah, I know it isn't Linux..)
    • My (family) desktop runs Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, not sure if I'll upgrade to 12.04 LTS, or switch to openSUSE.
    • My Dell D400 runs openSUSE 12.1, in part because of the Intel graphics and openSUSE 12.1 has given me the best results including Desktop Effects (which I haven't had since Ubuntu 10.04 came out). It used to have Ubuntu 11.10, Fedora 14 (KDE) and Windows XP. Unfortunately the kids have lost the power plug so it's running nothing once the battery dies.

I am looking at setting up a server but haven't decided whether to install Zentyal (based on Ubuntu) or openSUSE (have to fool around with WebYast and ownCloud before setting my mind on anything).

2. jimkd1yv

jimkd1yv Well-Known Member

My main desktop is currently running Mandriva 2010.2 x86_64 (due to Mandriva 2011 frequently and erratically crashing). I am about to jump to Fedora 16 x86_64 because of the lack of support from the Mandriva community.

My engineering desktop is running Fedora 16 KDE spin i686, testing in preparation for the above switch.

My primary laptop is Kubuntu 11.11 x86_64.

My older laptop is Kubuntu 11.04.

Others, please add your replies!

Jim R

3. madmod

madmod Member
    SIG Leader

Home & Home Office: (Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 32-bit versions on all computers that are listed)

2 Laptops - Ubuntu Desktop (Dell Inspiron E1505 and HP Pavilion dv6)

Desktop Tower - Ubuntu Desktop (eMachines ?) This computer also has a second hard drive (not partition) with Linux Mint 10.

Netbooks - Ubuntu Remix (Dell Mini 9) and Ubuntu Desktop (ZaReason Teo)

Server - Ubuntu Server (white box tower constructed from new components)

4. dragonbite

My difficulty is in keeping with only one distribution.

When Ubuntu 12.04LTS comes out, I know I am going to want to try it out. The same with Fedora 16 (though I have to decide; Gnome-shell or KDE).

I usually don't stray very far from that. Maybe try Zentayal for my server but I am still leaning towards installing openSUSE and ownCloud and test things out.

Oh, and I am in the process of looking at installing XMBC on my Optiplex and try making it into a media system even though I don't have Cable TV service. See what I can manage from just over the web.

5. dragonbite

After using Windows 7 for the past few months, KDE seems to have lost some of it's luster because it isn't really "different enough". At the same time I am not fully satisfied with Unity/Gnome-shell.

So before I jump back to Windows 7 I just downloaded Xubuntu and will give that a try first! :)

Still not 100% sure about the desktop (10.04) but will probably be changing it over to openSUSE KDE soon, to match the coming Firewall/Content Filter and possibly web/file server.

6. dragonbite

Argh... ADD is a Linux-users arch-nemisis. I am currently trying out openSUSE 12.2 KDE, but may switch to Gnome-shell instead (I'll give it a week)!

I am trying to put together a few servers (firewall/content filter and a web server at least) and am planning on using openSUSE for those, in part because of Yast and WebYast providing some ease in system configuration since I am still just learning servers.

We'll see what next week brings... I know Ubuntu is out next month and Fedora sometime before the end of the year so I don't know what I'll be using in the near future...

7. dragonbite

Couple years pass, and not too much changes except for the hardware.

• (Dell Optiplex 745) Family desktop runs Ubuntu 12.04 (still) although it is having some issues with updates/install so that I have to consider whether I want to update it 14.04 or try and fix the 12.04 version. At least it is supported until April, 2017 (5 years on desktop).  Except for 1 game, the kids prefer Linux to Windows.   

(Dell Optiplex 780) I have a second machine running Windows 7 but that is only for the game that doesn't work well in Linux.  I have plans of updating the RAM (from 4 to 12 or 16) and getting a larger hard drive (SSD?) to move to so  I can dual-boot (Windows for games, Linux for everything else).

• (Compaq CQ56, different motherboard) My laptop is a dual-boot Windows 7 and openSUSE 13.2 (kde). I've tried Fedora and Ubuntu on this machine, as well as different desktop environments (Gnome, Xfce, Unity and KDE). It's working fine and I may upgrade the Windows 7 to Windows 10 when the upgrade comes out.  I mostly use the Windows partition for 1 game and WebMatrix (for PHP development) because it works better than anything found in Linux so far.  Of course I toss back-and-forth between openSUSE and Ubuntu on this machine.

I'm getting very interested in updating the RAM from 4 to 8(max) and see how that effects things. :)

• (Gateway ???) My netbook has openSUSE 13.2 KDE on it, despite being a very low-end system by today's standards (1 core AMD @ 1.2GHz & 2GB Ram).  I tried Ubuntu, Fedora, Xfce, Gnome and Unity but have been very surprised by KDE working.  One thing I noticed is that while Xfce uses less CPU (thus saving heat and battery life with related fan use), the RAM use was higher than expected.  With KDE it filps it; more CPU and less reliant upon RAM. 

It also has Windows 10 Technical Preview which, of course, when installed it removed the bootloader for the machine so I cannot boot into Linux.  I just need to run a repair from the USB I used to install it in the first place.

• Then I have the 2 servers (P4s) running Ubuntu Server 14.04 running as Minecraft servers and 1 has a web server as well for developing my wife's website.  Unfortunately a server can only run 1 Minecraft server at a time, though I see there is something about being able to run multiple Minecraft "worlds" on one system. Depending on the flexibility for controls and configurations, this may be my best solution but I have 2 kids playing Minecraft and want their own worlds....

I wish I could Virtualize the server so I can have multiple Minecraft worlds (regular install allows 1 instance per computer) and have them separate from the in-home web server I am setting up.
    All of this, of course, is subject to change. Sometimes I wish I could stick to one or the other so all my systems are running Ubuntu, or openSUSE or Fedora/CentOS!