VOIP product providers..does this technology REALLY work????

Discussion in 'General & Off-topic' started by chris219, Oct 18, 2009.

1. chris219

chris219 New Member

I am seriously considering turning my phone service over to Comcast. I would very much like to know people's expereince with Comcast and their VOIP product. Needless to say I am most interested in whether it works or not and how well.

Any hassles on installation, customer service, billing, international calls or hidden costs, etc.

Also curious if VONAGE or any other VOIP providers are worth a look and your experiences with them.

thanks so much for your help.

Chris Crowl

2. dirkfeather

dirkfeather Member

We have Vonage and we love it. It's less expensive than the Charter bundle. The biggest issue we've had is that when cable is out your phone is out. We have mobile phones so that's not such a big deal. Prior to living here we had Optimum Online Triple Play. It was great too. This is great technology, I recommend you use it.

Dirk Feather

P.S. I have only had to contact Vonage once in 4 years. Their prices are going up as well. We started at $19.95 /month for 500 min and are now paying over $30.00.

3. stulaub

stulaub New Member

Comcast service is fine when it works., all the cable co's are just learning the phone biz ., so expect minor or major hiccups. We have been users since January and our service went down twice. They don't understand that voice going down is not like cable TV failing. as a business I can live without my Oprah., but not without my phones., when you call customer service they still don't get it., same is true with billing and installation they are not phone people., but its a minor hassle for the savings., and if you yell and scream they will give lots of credit.,

4. darwinrosario

darwinrosario New Member

VOIP is fine for home use, but I wouldn't use it for business. The downsides to VOIP are the dependencies on cable service and electrical service. If you loose either, your phone is out. Vonage has a fallback number feature - if it can't see your phone on the internet, it will forward the call to your fallback number, which will likely be your cell phone.

I had to call them once about the quality of the phone connection. Its been fine since. The experience however, was like troubleshooting a network problem with tech support (which it is). If you're able to install a router or other device on your home computer, you'll be fine getting through any problems that arise.

5. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

That's why I like having my good 'ol fashioned land-line phone (at least one is not cordless too). When the power goes out there's still a fair chance the phone is working still.

6. dirkfeather

dirkfeather Member

Our entire company (300+ people) uses VOIP. No real problems but it was set up by an outside firm not just our techs. It is a great system and allows me to have a work phone at home. This means I can work from home when needed.