Using Virtual PC to test/evaluate websites using different b

Discussion in 'Web Site Design' started by jscheef, Dec 18, 2008.

1. jscheef

jscheef Administrator
    Staff Member

Hello everyone,

A couple months ago I did a presentation at the SIG meeting on using Microsoft Virtual PC to run many versions of Internet Explorer and other browsers on a single PC. At that meeting I gave out copies of a virtual machine from Microsoft that contained XP SP3 with Internet Explorer 8 beta 1 preinstalled. The bad news was that particular VM will expire on Christmas Day (Merry Christmas from Microsoft). Well I have good news. Microsoft has made a new VM available for download with XP SP3 with IE 8 beta 2. I am still downloading the 422M file as I type so I do not know when this VM will expire.

These prebuilt VMs have the advantage of not requiring an installation key so they really are a free, if temporary, copy of Windows XP that you can use and abuse. Remember that a VM can be infected with malware, so be sure to configure it with undo disks once you get it the way you want it. I had installed Chrome on my copy so I could test that browser as well. If you have an antivirus program that allows installation on more than one machine, then install it on the VM. When you are testing unknown websites, be sure you have the undo disk enabled and then do not save the changes when your close the VM.

You will find the prebuilt VMs at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...90-958F-4B64-B5F1-73D0A413C8EF&displaylang=en

From the page:

This download page contains four separate VPC images, depending on what you want to test.
    * IE6-XPSP3_VPC.exe contains a Windows XP SP3 with IE6 VHD file
    * IE7-XPSP2_VPC.exe contains a Windows XP SP2 with IE7 VHD file
    * IE8B2-XPSP3_VPC.exe contains a Windows XP SP3 with IE8 Beta 2 VHD file
    * IE7-VIS1.exe+IE7-VIS2.rar+IE7-VIS3.rar contain a Vista Image with IE7 VHD file.
    Note: For The Vista image, you will need all three files, downloaded and in the same directory, then simply run IE7-VIS1.exe.

Happy Festivus!
    Jim