Upgrade to Windows 8 (Pro)

Discussion in 'Windows' started by dragonbite, Jul 11, 2012.

1. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

I'm sure you have heard about the $14.99 upgrade for anybody buying a Windows 7 PC between June 2, 2012 and January 31, 2013, but what happens if you already have a Windows 7 machine and don't want to buy a new one?
    No indicator for the full price of Windows 8, but $40 to upgrade (and even upgrade from XP!) isn't too bad on the wallet.

One confusing part is they say you use Windows.com to purchase the upgrade, and you get an upgrade assistant which will
    It makes it sound like you have to purchase Windows 8 Pro in order to get the upgrade assistant and THEN can use the assistant to check your PC. I really hope I am reading this wrong!

Depending on what version you are upgrading from, you can keep some of your settings and personal files (as always, when doing something like this, backup your files first!)
    With only a $40 price tag and the opportunity to upgrade from even Windows XP, this may be a version worth trying on my laptop even though it does NOT have touchscreen capabilities. But we'll see about the requirements before then.

So, are you likely to upgrade to Windows 8 when it comes out in October (2012)?

2. richardc

richardc Administrator
    Staff Member

It sounds like a good deal, but not particularly convenient for those who want to do a clean install. I would want to install Windows 8 in its own partition without disturbing my Windows 7 installation. Since my Windows 7 was an upgrade install from Windows Vista, I would have to first install Vista in the new partition and the purchase the Windows 8 upgrade from there.

My follow up question is what happens when I need to do a reinstall? I figure I'd need to install Vista again as a first step, but how would I upgrade to Windows 8 without paying for it again? Is there going to be an installation file that I would save? Or is Microsoft going to remember that I already bought the upgrade and let me download it again? How will that work?

3. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

I think technically your one Vista license has been used up with the one you upgraded to Windows 7. Doesn't mean it won't work, but with upgrades I think the underlying OS license is still considered used.

My understanding is that if you have to reinstall, you have to go through the same process you did the first time around. I don't think this is anything new with Windows 8 either, I think any upgrade needs to go through the same process to reinstall.