Unity for non-3D capable systems

Discussion in 'Linux' started by dragonbite, Jan 20, 2011.

1. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

Like we talked about last night at the Linux SIG, Ubuntu will need to provide a 2D version for systems that cannot handle 3D out of the box (requires proprietary nVidia drivers for instance).

According to a ZDNet post, they are including a 2D version of Unity to be included with Natty (11.04). :yippee I guess they realized they may alienate a large portion of their user base if they force the 3D issue (such as myself), and they honestly cannot afford that. Enough is going on in the industry that now is not a time to abuse your users and thankfully they are indicating they are listening.

So now I am back to looking forward to 11.04 for my laptop!

2. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

I have managed to install the Unity 2D (or Unity Qt), which was not very good at first. At the SIG meeting, the top bar disappeared and most of the icons would not show on the screen. In other words, it was a flub.

Since then, I found out that there was an update that broke the Qt handling of the top bar. A couple commands in the terminal later, the bar along the top was back, but the icons still were not.

A couple of days ago, I fired up the Ubuntu 10.10 Unity 2D desktop again and ran through the updates. Lo! It works now, and I have to say it isn't bad at all! A couple bugs here and there, but otherwise seems to be functioning alright and is actually usable!

So at the next SIG I'll bring this machine to try and show off Unity 2D again!