Ubuntu Linux hardware drivers and comments

Discussion in 'Linux' started by liquidlevel, Jan 17, 2012.

1. liquidlevel

liquidlevel Guest

I had installed Ubuntu after our last meeting. I found it very difficult to install drivers for the common hardware on one of my laptops. It took about an hour to install drivers for the onboard wireless adapter. Going from entering code in the CLI and moving files to specific folders is what took up most of the time. Is this a common issue users come across with Linux OS installs? honestly, it felt like setting up windows 95 in where I remember having to seek out assistance from friends at school to get my modem working and other hardware that is basically all set to go after installing more current windows platforms. Even after the install of Ubuntu it felt like an overly complex way too open sourced mix of windows aero and certain areas of later versions of Mac os. Doesn't seem like an os that should be used for finances or other pii issues due to no assurance of safety measures applied. There is no feel of security working within.

2. snh

snh Well-Known Member
    Director

You have a couple of points in your post to address.

1. UNIX/Linux are more secure than Windows XP and prior. Period. Win7 is pretty secure and mature OS and probably as secure as UNIX/Linux at this point.
    2. GUI environments create complexity, and Ubuntu is no different here than Windows.
    3. Supporting x86-based hardware requires an enormous amount of drivers. If you would like to be insulated from such things, buy an iPad or Mac, where the hardware is regulated, but options limited.

Ubuntu is nice, but I tend to favor other distros, and preferred Debian when I had a choice. (I've used Red Hat, Mandrake, Debian, Ubuntu and a couple other Debian-based ones.) If Ubuntu did not work well for your gear, try an earlier version of Debian. Also a lot of these distros come with LiveCD versions, so you can test out driver compatibility and availability before actually installing them.

Hope this helps out.

Sean

3. madmod

madmod Member
    SIG Leader

There's no simple answer to this. Some hardware is easily recognized and the software syncs with it. On other machines, there's a mismatch and it can be a real hair puller to get things working. Typical failure points are wireless, printers that are not supported by Linux software of any kind, video cards that don't take the default resolution, no sound, and so on. Sometimes enabling existing proprietary drivers fixes things.

I can't give you any path that's easy on this. Two computers of the same make and model might have software installs that differ in their levels of success.

The only general recommendation I can make is to use a new hard disk drive in an old computer. I generally run into problems with new installs on old drives and so I don't try to do that anymore. ~~Dave