Theme Design!

Discussion in 'Web Site Design' started by dragonbite, Nov 11, 2008.

1. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

Does the Web Site Design SIG do anything with content management themes?

I am looking at getting more into developing Drupal Themes and wondered if this SIG touches any of that (the how, best practices, etc.)?

2. Annette

Annette Administrator
    Staff Member

Content management themes and Drupal are subjects that need to be covered. I would like to go over these at a future SIG meeting. In order to effectively present the options, a testing site will need to be set up. Thank you for the good suggestion - so please look for future anouncements on this subject.

3. snh

snh Well-Known Member
    Director

Re: Theme Design! (Tables vs CSS article link)

Interesting post re "Tables vs CSS" I came across...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://iamelgringo.blogspot.com/2009/02/tables-vs-css-css-trolls-begone.html">http://iamelgringo.blogspot.com/2009/02 ... egone.html</a><!-- m -->

I, too, drink the CSS-flavored Kool-Aid and it does give me a headache, like how a classes applied to a caption still cannot resize the text within, or that vertical-align is just a suggestion, or that CSS styles applied to the col tag do not follow-through to the columns they represent, or any number of mind-numbing CSS minutia.

As far as designing CMS themes, decide first if these themes are for general distribution or not. If not for general distribution, then next is check that the HTML output of the CMS validates to at least 4.01 Transitional, or else some CSS techniques will have cause to fail. It's been my experience that all CMS products I have tried have had errors in the markup - so fixing your CMS markup will be your 1st priority. If it is for general distribution, then your CSS will have to navigate the default markup (errors and all) of the CMS.

Another tip is to make sure all the CMS images and stylesheet(s) are contained in the same folder. This makes swapping themes performed merely by swapping folders, or else changing the pointer or img URL base to that folder. Check the CMS for how galleries are handled before modifying pointers to the image base because some CMS may not split off images submitted by users vs the images used by the CMS itself. This is true if user images are stored in the file system and not in the database, if there is one.

Hope this helps.

-S

4. Annette

Annette Administrator
    Staff Member

Cool blog link! Love it...
    We'll have to do some more CSS in the SIG..
    Thanks,
    Annette

5. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

Re: Theme Design! (Tables vs CSS article link)

Maybe it's a stupid question, but how do you verify that?

6. snh

snh Well-Known Member
    Director

To validate the output of any HTML use <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://validator.w3.org/">http://validator.w3.org/</a><!-- m --> and submit the code either by URI (URL), upload or direct input. There are other validation tools at w3.org, including ones for CSS.

If there is even one error on the main page of a CMS, you can assume the rest is equally, if not more, faulty. I currently validate to 4.01 Transitional. It is important to use DOCTYPE declarations in validation, and more importantly lately for JavaScript concerns, since some JavaScript-based plug-ins require this to work properly. CalendarControl, for instance, requires the DOCTYPE be set and declared to late version.

-S