[SOLVED] How can I open Outlook Express from FireFox 3/0/4

Discussion in 'Ask DACS' started by timpurdy, Dec 3, 2008.

1. timpurdy

timpurdy New Member

I would like to know how to open Outlook Express from FireFox. I now have to open Internet Explorer, then open Outlook Express and close Explorer. Is there a way to open OE directly from FireFox.

Thanks for your help. :p

2. jscheef

jscheef Administrator
    Staff Member

Re: How can I open Outlook Express from FireFox 3/0/4

Tim,

Ignoring why you would ever want to use Outlook Express, I will assume that you are asking how to select the email client that opens when you click a mailto: link on a web page.

If this is so, open Firefox and open options on the Tools menu. Click Applications at the top of the options window. Scroll down the list until you see "mailto:" in the left column. Click that line in the right column, that item will become a dropdown list. You should see Outlook Express in the list. Click that entry. Then click Ok at the bottom and you are done. Find a web page with a mailto: link and test your change.

This is, of course, covered in Firefox help. You can read the entry by clicking "Help Contents" in the Help menu. In the webpage that opens, search for "how to select email client". The first result will be "Changing the e-mail program used by Firefox".

Once you get this working you can consider why you are not using Thunderbird. ;-)

Jim

3. timpurdy

timpurdy New Member

Thanks Jim. I followed your instructions and all worked just fine. I was not able to find it in help as I guess that I did not know where to look.

Tim

4. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

If your question is answered, you may want to edit your first post and add something like [SOLVED] or *SOLVED* so that anybody looking through the forums see that not only is there a question here, but a solution as well.

It isn't too bad now, but as traffic increases and the number of posts get higher and higher this will make it easier to navigate in the future.