Running Microsoft Office on Linux

Discussion in 'Linux' started by dragonbite, Nov 18, 2010.

1. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

The artilce that first brought this to my attention was How To Easily Install Microsoft Office 2007 On Linux

Ok, it isn't native yet, and chances are the people migrating to LibreOffice won't be too happy, but and an alternative to using WINE directly, there is Play on Linux.
    Ok, so how is this different than WINE?

• While the Ubuntu installation does not list Lucid, the .list file exists, so the installation command, based on what it listed for other versions of Ubuntu, should be
      Code:
      sudo wget http://deb.playonlinux.com/playonlinux_lucid.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/playonlinux.list
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get install playonlinux
      May be something to try out. If anybody does try this out please bring it up at the Linux SIG meeting about your experience! I hope to try this out and see how it does but I have a much older version of Office (2000) and I would be interested in how a newer version works (even up to Office 2010!).

2. jimkd1yv

jimkd1yv Well-Known Member

Thanks for this Drew.

I have 2010 installation file, but I am concerned about using up one of my license keys just to do a test run. (It prompts early on in the installation process for the license key). Any suggestions?

Jim

3. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

Disconnect from the Internet and see if it can run without "phoning home"?