Run Linux "natively" inside Windows

Discussion in 'General & Off-topic' started by dragonbite, Mar 16, 2010.

1. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

Looks like a neat program. While most of the program that are used in Linux, being open source, will run on Windows (Gimp, OpenOffice, Inkscape, I think they are porting Banshee, etc.) this may be an alternative for those few that do not.

2. snh

snh Well-Known Member
    Director

Drew - Thanks for posting.

Interesting, but thinking what's the point? The game these days is to be as portable as possible, so figuring out a way to have two OS side-by-side is sort of like a hybrid auto - now you have two engines (systems) to maintain!

The only application of this that I can see is if someone is totally attached to:
    • a specific desktop/laptop
    • and must have a Windows 2000-based OS (Win2k, XP, etc) for some application
    • and must have an Ubuntu Linux application that has not yet been ported to Windows or else written in Java or whatever[/list:u]

The performance boost of not being in a virtual machine must be great to make this worthwhile. Otherwise, it's hard to beat the portability of having an Ubuntu Linux (or other distro or OS) install running as a virtual machine, that can be moved to a newer machine if needed.

As an example, while I have a laptop, I am not "attached" to it because I run nearly all my applications portably off a thumb drive, and what do not run portable run inside a Windows XP Pro virtual machine. When I upgrade my laptop, I just move my virtual machine to the next unit. From the description of where this "native" install is described, the Linux install becomes non-portable. For me, I'd pick portable over "native" at this point, even for media applications.

-S