Replacing UbuntuOne with Copy.com

Discussion in 'Linux' started by dragonbite, Apr 18, 2014.

1. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

As I mentioned in the last SIG meeting, I have replaced UbuntuOne with Copy.com and there are 3 components about it which I will try and explain in consecutive posts (to keep it from being one massive post).
    [hr]
    PART I: Getting your account

Copy.com is supported by Barracuda Networks and support Linux, Mac OS X, Windows, Android, iOS, Raspberry Pi and Windows Phone.

When you sign up you get 15 GB for free! This can be increased by using referral codes which give both people a 5GB boost! So if you use a referral code (such as mine : https://copy.com?r=wR3jYg) to sign up, then you get 15+5 = 20GB to start (and I get +5GB to my account).

So copy offers greater cross-platform than Google Drive or Microsoft's OneDrive, cross-(Linux)-distribution unlike UbuntuOne and a larger referral bonus than Dropbox! Not a bad deal at all!

Another bonus is that if you have files or folders shared with somebody else with a Copy account, the size of it is split between everybody it is shared with for the amount that goes against your total space.

So, for example, if I share a 5gb file with Dave's Copy account, it only counts as 2.5GB against each of our accounts. Then, if it is shared with 3 more people then all 5 people only have 1GB go against their account's size limit.

The only thing I don't like, at this point, is that through the browser you don't have a lot of flexibility with your files. You can't even move files from one folder to another without downloading it locally and uploading to where you want it to go!
    [hr]
    Part II: Moving your files

Since UbuntuOne is shutting down, copying your files from UbuntuOne to Copy.com can be daunting if you have significant space. Luckily Copy.com has a deal with Mover.io to easily move files from one service to another!

It is done in the browser. You tell Mover.io where to take your files from, and where to put your files (can even create a folder to place everything in it). You can schedule it to run immediately, later or recurring (hourly, daily, weekly or monthly). There is an option, too, to ZIP the files before transmitting them which can be handy to reduce bandwidth.

Mover.io can also do a lot more than just this. It has 22 different connections available and can go either direction (into Copy from 22 places, or out of Copy to any of the 22 places). There is even the option to FTP and sFTP and AWS so you can have it backup your personal locations or to your personal locations. Combine this with the recurring scheduling and you can easily backup your sites without having to copy them to your own local system first.

Steps to Migrating:
    1. From the browser view of yoru Copy account click the Menu (3 dots) on the left side (not the one on the right side)
    2. Select "Migrate from Another Service" from the menu
    3. Click "Get Started"
    4. Authorize
    5. Select a service to migrate from. Don't worry which one you select, the screen will change to Mover.io's site where you can make other choices for transfering. Selecting "Other" will make the site not set a source for you
    6. In the Mover.io site, click "Select Source" and pick from what you want to Migrate from.
    7. Select where you want the files to be copied to. When you select one you will see the proposed folder structure which is a nice way to see where it will put things.
    8. You can schedule it or choose to ZIP it from the center section
    9. Once it is started, you do not need ot keep your browser open or even your computer. It will copy from server-to-server and there is an option when setting it up to email you when it is done.

Meanwhile it will open the Activity screen so you can see the progress of all of your Transfer(s).

If you need to move things within Copy.com you could set your Copy account as the source and destination to move things around. This is an option in case you aren't near your computer and able to move things around in your file manager.
    [hr]
    Part III: Installing the client (Ubuntu)

This is part of what sold me over Copy.com, because my first attempts did not go very well. Once I found I ran it in Ubuntu and it works beautifully. I also ran it in openSUSE which runs well but I have one issue (not auto-starting).

Code:
    #download and extract the tarball
    wget https://copy.com/install/linux/Copy.tgz
    tar -xvzf Copy.tgz
    rm Copy.tgz

# If your Ubuntu is Ubuntu 64bits:
    cd copy/x86_64
    # If your Ubuntu is Ubuntu 32bits:
    cd copy/x86

#I think this integrates it with Nautilus (so you can see the status of folders)
    sudo ./CopyCmd Overlay install

# Place the application coding into the /opt directory
    sudo mkdir /opt/copy
    sudo cp -r * /opt/copy

# Removes the unpacked Copy client
    cd ../..
    rm -r copy

# Start the program
    cd /opt/copy 
    ./CopyAgent &
    At this point Copy should pop up a window for you to put in your credentials, select the folders to run and give you the option to not have it start automatically (it does by default).

Once you set this, it will start to download everything in your Copy account.

If the program dissappears/stops (like closing the terminal window you just ran everything through) then log out and log back in (or restart) and it should start up the application and continue running.

It is pretty quick and includes a system tray icon to control it.

Remind me and I'll try and update this for Fedora and openSUSE. I dont' know if KDE will have the integrated indicators like nautilus does, or not.