Replacing hard drive in Acer Extensa 660 laptop

Discussion in 'Ask DACS' started by dacs96ed, Feb 10, 2009.

1. dacs96ed

dacs96ed Guest

My daughter has an older Acer laptop whose hard drive is failing rapidly.
    In your opinion, can it be replaced easily and is it worth it for an older model? I know little about PC laptops.
    Patrick Libert

2. jasetaro

jasetaro Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm not familiar with Acer Extensa 660 but the drive can probably replaced, I'm sure it's worth the investment though... A new drive is roughly $60-$100 (assuming you can install it yourself) and you can pick up a new entry level laptop for $400-$700.

At those prices she'd be better investing in a new laptop.

3. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

A PDF manual on servicing the 660 can be found here http://www.acersupport.com/library/e660ug.pdf. It is about 1.49 MB in size. I tried uploading it but got an error ( Could not upload attachment to ./files/61_714b35ecdcea1120a0bd03ec353e970b.).

Replacing the Hard Drive is on page 42-43. I would have extracted out just this portion but they protected the PDF so I can't do it (to my knowledge).

If it is a sub-200Mhz system then this may be a blessing in disguise and time to get a new system. Rob might be able to convert it into a digital frame for you ;)

4. dacs96ed

dacs96ed Guest

Thanks for all the great info. I'll pass it on to my daughter.
    If I were not away for another six weeks, I would offer to replace it myself in her laptop.
    Regards,
    Patrick

5. dacs96ed

dacs96ed Guest

Re: Replacing hard drive in Acer Travelmate 660 laptop

Just for the sake of good order, it's a Travelmate 660 (my initial error) and I found the manual and downloaded it. It looks like a very simple procedure to replace the hard drive and I see some listed at $89.95 for a 60GB.

6. dacs96ed

dacs96ed Guest

Re: Replacing hard drive in Acer Travelmate 660 laptop

Jeff, you bring up a very good point. Cindy tells me that the Acer is limping along and my first suspicion was that it was the hard drive. But, if I get her a new drive and we find out it's another problem, $90 bucks down the drain!
    If she can wait until I get back in late March, I'll take a look at it before buying the drive.
    A bientot,
    Patrick