question for John Patrick

Discussion in 'Ask DACS' started by liquidlevel, Apr 25, 2013.

1. liquidlevel

liquidlevel Guest

What would your response be to people who express concern with medical records becoming digitalized in that it could pose as an extreme risk to patients for several reasons.

such as:

1. Record not being accessible due to a technical error and it being needed ASAP in a life or death situation for a patient

2. Information altered maliciously on patient records and in turn possibly kill a patient in situations such as one where currently prescribed medicine was altered and later on being looked at by a doctor while a patient is non-responsive state to ensure proper medicine is prescribed to avoid drug interactions.

2. jscheef

jscheef Administrator
    Staff Member

Liquid,

Someday your electronic records will be readily available in just about any medical situation, even for an EMT at a traffic accident - a far better situation from today when your paper (or electronic) records are available only at your doctor's office. Technical errors blocking availability is not even on the radar. Think about the speed and number of credit card transactions processed everyday without error. Currently outdated regulations are the primary thing standing between you and your records in an emergency situation.

A paper record can be maliciously altered just as easily as an electronic records and there is no way to trace the culprit with paper.

These are valid concerns, please come to the meeting to ask your questions.

Jim

3. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

I would be more concerned with non-standardized formats causing incompatibilities or proprietary formats being relied on and locking medical records in such a way that they are inaccessible to individuals (without paying $$$ for a license) or only the select compatible systems (keeping open source solutions outside of the loop for example).

Regarding records not being accessible due a technical error when needed in a life-or-death situation, how is it currently being performed?

If currently ER doctors (or whomever) is calling your doctor's office for information regarding a patient then yes, I could see a technical error making things inaccessible. Who hasn't experienced the network or computers or database or something else being down for a moment? Even Google and Microsoft have had down time, even though a very small percentage of their huge number of clients.

I just don't know how the information is disseminated currently to guess whether being in an electronic format is a boon or risk.

I have a feeling that there will be a lot of growing pains as issues like these are worked out but in the future, when things have been ironed out, then things may be as ubiquitous as smart phones are today.