Quesiton About Updating Firefox in Ubuntu?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by snh, Dec 18, 2009.

1. snh

snh Well-Known Member
    Director

How does one update Firefox in Ubuntu 4.10?

I just loaded Ubuntu 4.10 onto a laptop (the only version of Ubuntu available to me at the moment) just to test some things. However, some popular websites are not compatible with Firefox 0.9.x. Ubuntu didn't update Firefox on install, despite having and being aware of an internet connection.

So I'm drilling through FF and that version of FF on Ubuntu lacks its own updater.

So I go to the Synaptic Package Manager and it asks me for a root password (install didn't ask me to set one, so I don't know what it is, where to find it, or even if the root account is active on Ubuntu 4.10)

So I go to the Wiki site listed by Ubuntu and the entry is erased and previous entries give the same blather about how secure Ubuntu is because of no root account/credentials...

FYI, the reason for the install is two failed Windows XP Pro installations, so was trying to use Ubuntu to see what would happen as far as any hardware issues.

-S

2. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

I had to double-check the version you were talking about, to make sure you didn't mean 9.10, but if 4.10 is all you have available then that's what you gotta do. Let me know if you want a newer version, I'll hook you up ;)

Ubuntu, and most distributions, will have a version of applications in their repository and in order to upgrade the application version you have to upgrade the distro version. There will be updates and security patches updated in the repository, but usually not an entire version upgrade.

Some distributions are what is called "rolling releases" which means the repository they have is the ONLY one, and so when a new version of something comes out and is tested, it is put in the repository and is available to everyone; whether you installed it 6 months ago or 6 years! Gentoo, Sabayon (which is based on Gentoo) and Arch Linux are all rolling releases.

When you opened Synaptic up and it asked for your password, it is not the root password it is asking for, it is YOUR's. The first account created is an administrator account (or sudo account) , and that account can add new users which can also be administrator accounts if so chosen.

If anybody were to try and run Synaptic, whether they were administrators of the system or not, they would be asked for their password. When the system finds out they are not in the sudo (administrator's) group it would deny them access.

In order to update your Firefox, since the Ubuntu version is 5 years old now, you'll need to do it manually as far as I can tell.

3. snh

snh Well-Known Member
    Director

Thanks for the tip!

Over the weekend I was able to get 9.10 and install that instead on my wife's Acer Aspire 3000 (5000, actually, in a 3000 chasis).

Background: The laptop was hanging on the Welcome Screen on normal boot, but not in Safe mode. On trying to re-install XP Pro install itself hung after keyboard/location screen.

Update: I had replaced the hard drive and memory on the unit and still not able to re-install Windows XP Pro. In a act of curiosity and frugality, and knowing that an older version of Ubuntu 4.10 did fine (except for networking and app updates), I downloaded the newest Ubuntu (9.10) and gave the install a try. No problems, networking worked fine, and the default FireFox was version 3.5.x, so fine for using Facebook and so on and not concerned at the moment for updating that or any other app.

Yahoo! Mail indicated that their latest version of their webmail client was untested on "the current operating system", which I thought was weird. Why would a website care what OS I was using? I could see browser, but OS? I decided that was a question for another day, and so had my wife decline to revert back to Yahoo! Mail Classic and just go with the current mail version to see what would happen. No problems there, either.

Didn't have time to test whether it could reach the network printer or NAS unit, but the laptop can get online now work with the popular websites with a late version of a browser, so all is well.

-S

4. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

Yeah, some websites actually look at the OS as well as the browser and Yahoo! is one of the places I've found is more Windows/IE orientated than a lot of other sites. This is one reason why I moved away from Yahoo! to Google (that, and Yahoo! mail didn't allow pop downloads for free and Gmail allowed IMAP connections).

A lot of time websites put that up so that *if* something doesn't work they can answer "that's unsupported, go away!" while it will usually work pretty well (kudos to the Linux developers). No matter what Linux or desktop environment (KDE, etc.) I have, I make sure I have Firefox installed for compatibility purposes since it is the 2nd most used browser (and growing)..

If you want to try another office suite, I am finding KOffice to be pretty good (right now I'm running Fedora 12 and KDE). If you want, you can send me a file, I can see how it prints in KOffice (to PDF), and do a "save as" to see what that does with things.