Palm up for sale?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by jasetaro, Apr 12, 2010.

1. jasetaro

jasetaro Administrator
    Staff Member

Bloomberg is reporting that Palm, Inc. is s seeking bids for the company:
    Read the rest @ <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=arvXvuu.DqW4&pos=3">http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... DqW4&pos=3</a><!-- m -->

2. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

Don't know if this is good or bad. Could be good if it revitalizes the Palm and WebOS lines, or could just kill off another competitor and have it's technology absorbed by one or more of the current system makers.

3. snh

snh Well-Known Member
    Director

Very sad. My Palm TX is a trusted and versatile piece of equipment. Prior to that, I liked my Handspring Deluxe.

Here's vid from 4/21/2010 from a tipster.
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/video/10732198/sell-palm-against-the-grain.html?cm_ven=YAHOOV&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA&s=1#79347113001">http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/video/1 ... 9347113001</a><!-- m -->

I was considering a Palm Pre, but if they get bought out, that's a deal killer. I tend to ditch products/services that get bought out by a bigger firm.

-S

4. dragonbite

Hmm... I wonder what their angle is going to be? Get into the smartphone market completely? Develop the hardware and put Windows 7 Mobile or Android on it? Kill it and put any redeeming technology into their computer systems (like their netbook)? We'll see...

5. jasetaro

jasetaro Administrator
    Staff Member

HP to buy Palm in smartphone bet

I wonder what HP is thinking here... I'm not sure anyone can resuscitate Palm at this point, they've been dieing a slow motion death for most of decade. Is HP interested in Palm's WebOS or are they after the Palm's engineering talent to try and revive they're failing iPaq business?

6. dragonbite

May not be too bad of a gamble actually.

Right now both Apple and Microsoft are suing HTC's Android product for IP infringement. If that drags on and slows down Android any ( a pretty tall feat ) that may give enough of a breather to see what happens with Palm.

I really hope HP is not thinking they could take the Palm WebOS and plan on using it everywhere like the Android is being thrown into (phones, netbooks, tablets, etc.). I don't think it will be that easy to do.

Didn't HP have a Palm PDA competitor years ago? If I recall correctly, it was actually pretty good too.

7. jasetaro

jasetaro Administrator
    Staff Member

Yup, they did... Still do actually. From what I've read their iPaq smartphones and PDAs aren't selling well though. I think they're more or less a forgotten product at this point.

But then whole Windows Mobile market seems to have fallen by the wayside, right now the mobile device market is dominated by the iPhone, the Blackberry and Android Devices. Windows Mobile, Nokia's Symbian OS devices and Palm are all playing catch up.

8. dragonbite

I think it will be interesting to see Windows 7 Mobile, since its applications will be Silverlight-based.

With the tablet design gaining ground, there is an opportunity for an non-leading mobile OS to still find a new life in the tablet/netbook/embedded device market.

Fun times in technology ahead!

9. snh

snh Well-Known Member
    Director

Maybe what people are missing in their quest for a single-device solution to their bat-belt, is that mobile phones, even smart phones, are still less-than-stellar at PIM tasks and syncing across networks and devices. However, given the way people connect to each other these days, maybe traditional PIM functions are going by the wayside.

To this day, I cannot get a unified calendar setup across everything. All these manufacturers think they are so smart, yet calendaring is still a problem.
    That, and managing Contacts seems to still be an issue. I have hundreds of contacts in my Palm, but as far as I can tell this still exceeds the limit of everything else in terms of size and schema.

10. jasetaro

jasetaro Administrator
    Staff Member

Sean, take a look Apple's Mobile Me service. It work with the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad and allows you to synchronize contacts, calendars, and bookmarks over the network... I use it to sync contacts & calendars between Outlook 2003 on my PC, my iPod Touch, and Address Book and iCal on my Mac... if I edit a contact or change an appointment on any one of them, it automatically propagates to the others.

11. dragonbite

Isn't that something which Google provides with the Droid? At least that is one thing I would expect from them (and would benefit as I use Google Calendar, Mail, Contacts and Tasks).

Currently I can, though it isn't an easy set-up, get all of this (except maybe the Tasks, I think that's newer), connected to my Evolution and Thunderbird.

12. jasetaro

jasetaro Administrator
    Staff Member

I guess, I haven't looked into what Google offers with Driod.

Mobile Me, setup is pretty simple, just singup (it's a fee based service), enter your account info on your devices and tell it what to sync.

Bookmarks can synced between IE or Safari on Windows and Safari on a Mac. You can also sync mail accounts, rules, signatures and smart mailboxes along with dock items and widgets between Macs.

13. snh

snh Well-Known Member
    Director

Interesting re Apple's Mobile Me.- I'll look into it.

14. snh

snh Well-Known Member
    Director

Saw on ChannelWeb today that Palm lost a key person to Google.
    "... this week the company lost mobile interface expert M. Duarte to Google. HP bought Palm to get its hands on webOS, but Duarte reportedly spearheaded development of Palm’s webOS user interface ..."

15. dragonbite

Android has the momentum right now so it should not be any surprise that people are going to jump ship to go to Google.

In typical Linux fashion, they are trying to install Android on anything that moves. Even the OLPC XO-3 is probably shipping with Android to stable nations and the Fedora-based FOSS variant to developing countries.

Unless there is a serious mishap, I don't know if WebOS will get any significant share of the market unless they can manage some gimmic; find a niche market, be more open to developers than all of the competition, etc.

16. snh

snh Well-Known Member
    Director

Interesting and good to know if I ever start using an iPhone and MS Outlook.

I was looking at EssentialPIM, but it looks like their offerings have changed since when I first began considering it. EssentialPIM is like Palm Desktop with a built-in full-featured email client.

Today (7/23/10) I had to look up a record from 2001 to get my original hosting invoice number to make DNS info updates. It existed on my TX/Palm Desktop, but not any of my online respositories, current devices or previous devices. Score: Palm TX/Desktop, and VMWare 1. Motorola, LG, Verizon, AT&T(Voicestream), Yahoo!/GeoCities, and Gateway a big fat 0!