Opinions on another Red Hat based distro?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by jimkd1yv, Jan 28, 2012.

1. jimkd1yv

jimkd1yv Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of dropping Mandriva from my "Production" machine. Its reduction of support is becoming apparent. For example, the major exploit in the kernel announced in the press on Monday still has not been patched by Saturday night.

I think that I would like to stay with a Red Hat based distro, for the sake of familiarity and that the applications that I use most frequently are all working how I expect them.

Does anybody have any suggestions on which distro would be best? In the past, I chose Mandriva mainly for its stability. I'd like to lean that way, although I also don't want to completely bypass all of the latest and greatest.

I'm thinking of Fedora, but would like to hear any opinions, pro or con, on any other distros.

Thanks,
    Jim

2. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

I am currently looking at returning to Fedora again (KDE spin) or possibly openSUSE on my laptop, after the Ubuntu Unity demonstration is over.

Pro:
    • Applications are mostly up-to-date versions
    • Some major updates are pushed through the package manager. For example, my Fedora upgraded the KDE version to I think 4.5 to 4.6 automatically.
    • SELinux, for all the pain people talk about, is getting better and is still seen as the better protective measure than AppArmor or nothing. I have honestly only ran across SELinux once, when setting up Xampp I think, and found a way around it online.
    • Applications are almost upstream-unmodified, which means experience with a program in Fedora should match that of elsewhere other than possibly local branding. Other distributions that "tweek" and "customize" things makes it more difficult to go elsehwere with the same experience.
    • Strong supporters of FOSS!
    • Community looks to be pretty accessible.
    • Forum people are pretty good technical-wise
    • Applications available from 3rd parties usually offer packages for Ubuntu most often, and Fedora second.
    • Pretty good hardware support and uses FOSS solutions before jumping to proprietary versions. For example, my Broadcom wireless worked out of the box using a FOSS OpenFWWF driver while no other distribution has used it by default that I am aware of.

Con:
    • Applications, being more up-to-date, may still have bugs in them.
    • Shorter life-span (13 months support compared to 18 months for openSUSE and non-LTS Ubuntu)
    • Forum is less active than Ubuntu.
    • Outside of 3rd party offerings and RPM xxxx, fewer additional repositories.
    • Multimedia is slightly more manual to install.
    • IPv6 is turned on by default so I could not pull up anything in my browser until I blacklisted it.
    • Sometimes Fedora does sizable changes (that the rest of the industry may follow suit afterwards.. I love a leader :tongue:) like 17 ("Beefy Miracle") I think is going to introduce moving /bin and /sbin (and a couple other directories on the root) to under /usr (so it will be /usr/bin and /usr/sbin for example). This can go under "Pro" or "Con".

If you want more of a desktop-focused Fedora spin there is Fusion, Kororaa and Fubuntu (which is actually now a fork of Fedora).

Now if you want RedHat clones then CentOS and Scientific Linux are the two current models I have found. I think White Box is either being left in the dust, or has folded into CentOS possibly.

That's my current take on it. When my laptop first started suffering from the Intel 815 video kernel driver issue it was Fedora that first started working again, and even granted me desktop effects until Fedora 14.

Hope this helps! If we coordinate, then we can have all of the major distributions covered in the Linux SIG! :tongue: