Office 2013 Touch Enabled?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by richardc, Jul 18, 2012.

1. richardc

richardc Administrator
    Staff Member

It sounds like, based on the Office Customer Preview, Microsoft has done the bare minimum to say that their Office 2013 desktop programs are touch enabled. See this Ars Technica article, "Why bother? The sad state of Office 2013 touch support." According to what they're saying, with that busy ribbon bar only minimally modified to operate with fingers, and the settings dialogs not at all, it will be an exercise in frustration to try to use Office using only a touch screen. I guess you're really going to need that keyboard and trackpad on the Microsoft Surface.

2. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

So Microsoft's first foray into touch-enabled office isn't as good as the author would have liked? Is there any other touch-enabled Office suite available?

I don't see anything in Office 2013 that will make me want to run out and buy a copy, but if I were to somehow end up with a Surface or other Windows 8/RT tablet then I would prefer this version of Office.

I think Microsoft did acceptable in modifying an existing Office without too many changes for an operating system that isn't released which focuses on tablet computers which aren't available yet, and focusing on being touch-enabled which is squirrelly on any system.

I think this Office has more to do with offering an Office product on the new Windows (8/RT) on the new form factor (tablet) in order to give the minimum most of their customers expect. Without it, the whole house of cards would fall and they can't afford to lose any more ground.

3. richardc

richardc Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, there are QuickOffice Pro and Documents to Go, just a couple of examples known to me that have been on mobile devices for years and are available on both Android and iOS. Of course they don't have every single feature of the desktop applications, but will do a lot of what many people need.

Yes, it should work fine on Microsoft's vision of a tablet that includes a keyboard and trackpad, but if they're trying to compete with a touch-only device like the iPad, it sounds like they are missing the boat.

I have personal experience with two touch-enabled devices that aren't "squirrelly," an iPhone and, for the most part, a Nook. On my Nook one part that doesn't work so well is the Flash support in the browser. It's very apparent that Flash was developed for the precise positioning of a mouse. It's a challenge to try to use your finger to control a Flash video. That's the point the author and I are trying to make. Bringing over a desktop application to a touch-screen device without totally rethinking the interface, doesn't make for a good experience.

Agreed. It's just not clear what they will do when they come to the iPad, both to appeal to an iPad user and to meet Apple's UI guidelines to get into the App Store. It's also not clear how they would fit Office onto the smaller tablets like the Kindle Fire, the Nook, Nexus 7, and the expected iPad "mini" that could come this fall.

4. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member