MS Office 07 and IE-7 slow and unstable

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Annette, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Annette

Annette Administrator
    Staff Member

Is there any cure for MS Office 2007 slow performance? If I have other programs open, such as Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, everything slows to a crawl. Screen re-draw is shaky and only when I close all the Office applications does performance return to normal. Additionally, IE-7 has become sluggish and unstable, freezing and crashing on a regular basis even with cache/cookies deleted. (Only the Google toolbar, no other add-ons.)
    Running WinXP SP3, 2.99 GHz,3.25 GB RAM, using 76 of 145 GB HD. System is up-to-date on all Windows & Office updates as well as MacAfee protection. Using a Lynksys router (hard-wired) which - after Lynsksys tech support - improved performance recently, but I doubt that's really related to the above problem.
    Any suggestions appreciated! :help

2. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

You say Office 2007 slows everything to a crawl if you have other programs such as Adobe InDesign, Photoshop or Dreamweaver. How is Office 2007 when these other applications are NOT open (just Office is opened)? Not sure about IE7.

You've done the system scans (McAfee) and disk cleanup (clean up, defrag, etc.)?

3. rlimbaugh

rlimbaugh Member

I agree with Drew's initial suggestions. Beyond that it could indicate a problem with the Windows virtual memory (aka 'swap') file or a virus scanner that is perhaps too agressive.

Many virus scanning programs have a setting for system resource usage or 'throttle' control so the system doesn't choke up from scanning. May be worthwhile to check and see if yours has this and try lowering it if possible.

If nothing else helps, it could be the swap file may be corrupted. The swap file should be one contiguous file on the system and removing it will create a large gap. Re-creating it afterward may cause unwanted fragmentation of the new file. The best way to clear and reset it is to turn off virtual memory, reboot, scan/defrag drive, reboot, add virtual memory back, reboot.

4. Annette

Annette Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, done the defrag and McAfee system scans. (McAfee Scan takes hours.. could that be related to the "throttle"? Running anything else while scanning is going on, doesn't work well either. IE usually grinds to a halt and freezes, Outlook chokes, but Firefox soldiers on.)
    Never heard of a "swap" file, sounds very onminous. Rob's solution sounds good, but scary, how does one turn off virtual memory? This would be a job for someone who knows what they are doing. :eek:

I'm going to test the Office applications alone and see if they are up to speed, and see if I can isolate the offending program that tips the balance.
    Thanks!

5. richardc

richardc Administrator
    Staff Member

This sounds like it would be a good project for the Windows SIG, if Rob is willing. Any chance you could make it to that meeting?

Your McAfee VirusScan is starting to sound like a suspicious culprit. I wonder if there's a way to temporarily turn it off, maybe while disconnected from the Internet. Then test if your programs are responsive without the antivirus running. If you find that makes a difference, then either McAfee needs to be configured differently somehow, or it's time to shop for a different antivirus program. I like avast! antivirus because it seems to stay out of my way.

It sounds like you have plenty of real memory, although it's possible with enough of your heavy-duty programs open at the same time, you might be using some virtual memory as well. That's where the swap file comes in. When you run out of real memory Windows has to swap out some programs from real memory to virtual memory, which is slower because it requires disk access.

6. Annette

Annette Administrator
    Staff Member

Looks like I missed the Windows SIG! I tend to think it's not McAfee, but Office. If I open Excel I might as well call it a day, all other open programs start to slow down consererably if not freeze altogether. I'm debetaing whether to remove Office 2007, and go back to 2003. Although I guess uninstalling 2007 will wipe out the orriginal 2003, and I'll have to reinstall that again. (But that seems a cop-out.)
    I do trust McAfee as it's brought up an intersting issue which I'll have to post about in another forum - related to trojan horses being inserted into my webpages on the server. :yikes
    Now if I could only figure out how to get notified when someone posts here..

7. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

Sounds like the 4 "R"s of tech support;
    "R"estart the applications
    "R"eboot the computer
    "R"einstall the applications
    "R"einstall the operating system
    (and my favorite.. "R"eplace Windows with a "R"eal Operating System like Linux)

Yes, an RSS feed would be really cool, but there is a checkbox option to "Notify me when a reply is posted" though I don't know if it emails or what.

8. Annette

Annette Administrator
    Staff Member

I have the "notify when a reply is posted" checked, but I still don't get anything. Your 4 "R's" sound sensible, although when it comes to reinstalling the OS.. no way! I've gotten myself truly into a black hole from which I cannot get out. Yes, I back up, but starting over with installing programs, installing and re-configuring PHP, ColdFusion, IIS, and all that is a bit overwhelming. And as for linux - the unknown is just too scary! But I appreciate the feedback.