Migrating Windows 7 from machine to machine

Discussion in 'Ask DACS' started by dragonbite, Apr 27, 2011.

1. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

I purchases a Windows 7 Enterprise disk and installed it on a system I had lying around the house. It didn't work great, but that's another story.

If I purchase a new computer which comes with Windows 7 Home edition, can I legally overwrite that crapware-laden Windows 7 Home with my purchased Window 7 Enterprise if I no longer plan on using it on the older machine?

If so, how does this work with activation?

2. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

Alternatively, what about installing the Windows 7 Enterprise edition as a virtual machine (virtualbox? vmware?) on the pre-installed Home edition?

Can a 64 bit system virtual a 32 bit operating system?

3. richardc

richardc Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, you can activate the Windows 7 Enterprise on a new machine. At worst you may be asked to call Microsoft to explain the situation, but since you've only activated that copy once, you'll probably be able to activate it over the Internet without any hassle.

As for your other question, I have 64-bit Windows 7 running as a VM on 32-bit Windows 7 using VMware Workstation. I don't see why the other way wouldn't work. I can't vouch for whether VirtualBox would work in this mixed mode.