Microsoft's Windows 8 Plan B(lue): Bring back the Start button, boot to desktop

Discussion in 'Windows' started by dragonbite, Apr 16, 2013.

1. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

There is a lot of room for this being just a rumor and not coming through.

Microsoft's Windows 8 Plan B(lue): Bring back the Start button, boot to desktop
    I have mixed feelings about this.
    1. If people aren't pushed to change, then nothing is going to change.
    2. Microsoft is already late to the (tablet) party and these devices and needs something innovative, different and able to move forward with. The Metro interface is what they can use on multiple devices (phone, X-box, PC, tablet, etc.).
    3. People aren't buying new hardware, the predominant method of user migration, in part because PCs are so powerful for what they are usually used for, and tablets are capable of doing most things people want.
    4. The touch interface is less beneficial to enterprise markets and developers. For consumers its fine.
    5. The timing is not good. As people find out tablets do most of what they want with a PC, plus softwre doesn't take advantage of the extra power desktops have, I thnk some view Widows 8 as a "I'l wait and see" and holding off buying a new system.

I think the overall feel has been that for tablets and phones the metro/modern interface works well. For desktops and (non-touch) laptops it doesn't.

What are your thoughts?

2. jasetaro

jasetaro Administrator
    Staff Member

Personally, I think Microsoft would be smart to go back to a more traditional UI for desktop and/or laptop PCs. My main complaint with Windows 8 is that the Metro UI is optimized for content consumption, not content creation... Metro is fine for phone or tablets, which are primarily used for content consumption, but its entire design -- with a touch interface and that gawd awful split screen windowing limits productivity on desktops or laptop systems, which are still primarily content creation platforms.