Microsoft: No Support For Windows 7, Windows 8.1 Pcs With New Cpus

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by jasetaro, Jan 18, 2016.

1. jasetaro

jasetaro Administrator
    Staff Member

From Information Week:

Enterprises and consumers who purchase hardware with new CPUs will no longer have the option of running Windows 7 and 8.1 on their new systems. But one set of buyers will receive a temporary reprieve.

Microsoft issued an update to its support policy, in a move that will likely speed adoption of its new operating system Windows 10 -- whether its customers are ready to make the change or not.

Under the support policy update, Microsoft stated it would only support new processors and chipsets that are running Windows 10 on the computer systems. This move will have its greatest impact on enterprises that were planning to purchase new computers loaded with the older Windows 7 or 8.1, with plans to eventually migrate these systems to Windows 10 when it made sense for the entire company to head in that direction.

More @ http://www.informationweek.com/soft...-windows-81-pcs-with-new-cpus/d/d-id/1323960?

Resistance is futile. :borg:

2. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

No it's not futile.... other than for experimental purposes, I'm not being forced :)

3. jasetaro

jasetaro Administrator
    Staff Member

You will be assimilated. :borg: :D

I don't plan on upgrading to Windows 10 anytime soon -- or at all actually. When it's time to buy a new desktop I'll buy a Mac. They're a better fit for my need these days anyway.

#3 jasetaro, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  4. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

I updated one system to 10... and it won't successfully install 1 update (but it will gladly try .. again .. and again ... and again ...)

My paranoia thinks that the update is set to fail when the system is a dual-boot because the only people it really effects are Linux users.

There was an update in Windows 7 that from what I could read, basically was failing if Windows was not the only OS installed. Of course they try to downplay it because it "could mean you have more than one Windows installed" but the number of people running that scenario is even smaller than the number of people who own Windows Phones!

But that's the beauty of it... the systems are dual-boot so when I want to do something other than watch that little circle thing go round-and-round I just boot into the Linux partition and continue on my way.