Microsoft Announces the Surface Tablet

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by dragonbite, Jun 19, 2012.

1. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

Microsoft announced Monday they are going to be selling their own Windows 8 tablet called "Surface". It comes in 2 forms; an ARM based chip (Windows RT) or Intel based (Windows 8 Professional). It includes a built-in stand, dual cameras (angled to the same so when using the stand, the camera is pointed right), dual antennas, and there is an optional magnetic full-keyboard cover.

[​IMG]

Microsoft announces Surface Windows tablets, leaves unanswered questions provides some information on the 2 variants:
    You can watch the entire announcement on engadget Watch Microsoft Surface Keynote Online. It is 47 minutes long.

2. richardc

richardc Administrator
    Staff Member

It appears at this stage that this should be described as a prototype or proof of concept design. Details are very sketchy at this point--no mention of battery life for instance. Paul Thurrott, a close follower and proponent of Microsoft, even went so far as to describe the Surface tablet as "vaporware". See his article "With Surface Tablet, Microsoft Takes On Apple But Mimics Google".

3. dragonbite

Microsoft always announced vaporware, it's just their style.

Just like by the time it comes out, even if the specs at this point and time are outstanding, they'll be "meh" when it actually comes out.

And then just a couple of days ago they announced the Windows 8 Phone which is, you guessed it, due to come out in the fall!

At least if/when they come out can "try it out" in the Microsoft Store at the Mall (that isn't vaporware is it? ;) )

UPDATE: Oh yeah, and since it runs Windows 8, which isn't released, does that count as vaporware too?

4. richardc

richardc Administrator
    Staff Member

I wouldn't put Windows 8 in the same category and call it vaporware. I have the the Release Preview running on my computer at home.

As for the Surface tablet, none of the reporters were even given the opportunity to try the keyboard.

5. jasetaro

jasetaro Administrator
    Staff Member

And Windows Phone 8 apparently won't run on current Windows phones, which is creating headaches Microsoft's hardware partners like Nokia:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9228325/WP8_won_t_run_on_current_Windows_Phone_a_problem_for_Nokia_?taxonomyId=15

:rolleyes2: :icon_no:

6. dragonbite

True, Windows 8 is more realistic. :)

I didn't realize just how prototype Surface was! :icon_medic: I heard they only gave anybody 10 minutes for looking at it.

I did notice how smoothly one person (don't remember his name) was trying to demonstrate a feature and the Surface he was using wasn't working so while talking he went back to the table and picked up another one. I thought that was smoothly done and well prepared of them.

Now I think they have less confidence in this product than they are leading on.