Mac OS X Viruses: How to Remove and Prevent

Discussion in 'Apple' started by dragonbite, May 18, 2011.

1. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

Not as a means to start a flame, or incite any arguments. The How-to-Geek site is usually pretty informative and thought this would be good to pass long.
    Have you seen or heard anything about this? Does this information sound helpful?

There seems to be an increasing focus on Macs for malware writers, in part because the Mac has such a reputation for being safe and secure that people don't take steps to make sure and keep it safe and secure and writers are keen on that.

2. jasetaro

jasetaro Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, it's accurate... I saw the first reports of this particular bit of scamware a few weeks ago... I think mentioned it during my presentation.

Fortunately, unlike its Windows cousins, it's relatively easy to remove, but that doesn't change the fact anti-malware software is now a necessity for Mac users. The days security through obscurity are over.

The Mac anti-malware field isn't particularly crowded, but there's a few good options currently available:

Intego VirusBarrier
    Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac Home Edition ***Free for home use***
    F-Secure Antivirus for Mac
    ESET Cybersecurity for Mac
    Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Mac

HTH

Edit: Keep an eye on Intego's Mac Security Blog, Sophos' Naked Security Blog or the Mac Virus Blog for more on this and other Mac Security issues.

3. richardc

richardc Administrator
    Staff Member

It seems like I see these kind of reports every year or two. This article seems like it should be entitled "How to install a Mac Virus Because It's Not Going to Happen Without Your Help."

There is one useful sentence in the article: "If you are using Safari you should also disable the setting to automatically open “safe” files after downloading." This Is the same advice that was given the last time there was such a scare.

4. jasetaro

jasetaro Administrator
    Staff Member

Umm, while that is sound advice, we shouldn't minimize the risk here, by some reports 60,000 and 125,000 Mac users have been affected by the Mac Defender malware... Mac users need to run anti-malware software there's escaping that nay longer.

SecureMac has a comprehensive analysis and removal instructions of Mac Defender here.

Edit: Apple has posted a knowledge base article addressing the MacDefender malware issue and will be releasing a software update that will remove it in a few days.

5. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

Apple's malware detection update circumvented in 8 hours

There's probably going to be a lot of back-and-forth going on between these two parties:

6. jasetaro

jasetaro Administrator
    Staff Member

RE: Apple's malware detection update circumvented in 8 hours

I'm a little late in replying, but it's always been a cat and mouse game... Apple's XProtect is better than no anti-malware software at all, but given it's limitations it's not substitute for real anti-malware software... See the list above for some suggestions.

Security through obscurity is no longer an option for Mac users.