Linux command line: Useful System Update-type functions

Discussion in 'Linux' started by jimkd1yv, Dec 16, 2010.

1. jimkd1yv

jimkd1yv Well-Known Member

Following last night's discussion, attached is the document that I used for presentation.

Regarding the change to xorg.conf which I predicted would hang the computer but didn't, apparently I just didn't do enough of a restart. When I got home and started the machine cold, it hung as I had expected it would.

The solution was to go into single user mode (does not start X11), and rename the errant file out of the way. Then a reboot started everything normally. The way to do that is to dynamically edit the grub startup command and add the word 'single' to the end of the line.

If anybody is interested, I will display it in toto at the next meeting.

Jim

Attached Files:

2. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

My question is "how do you go in single-user mode"? I've never quite gotten that right.

3. jimkd1yv

jimkd1yv Well-Known Member

If you mess up badly enough, that is the only option you will get :eek:

Alternatively, if you can edit the GRUB command line for the item you want to boot, at the end of the line, type the word 'single' (without the quotes). You should then be prompted with a terminal logon instead of the usual X11 GUI.

Getting to be able to edit that command seems to differ from one distro to the next. In some cases, just highlight the line, then type 'e' before the timeout. Others, it's a combination of PF-keys and black magic.

Jim