Laptop battery maintenence.

Discussion in 'Ask DACS' started by dragonbite, Dec 5, 2008.

1. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

Saw in a forum somebody ask about leaving a laptop on AC all the time or to remove the battery and whether it was better to fully discharge or not.

The responses were like
    Somebody mentioned putting it in a refrigerator but that was suggested against unless storing for YEARS and even then to have it in an airtight bag to avoid condensation and to pull it out 24 hours before using it. I don't think I'll test that idea.
    :yikes

What are your thoughts? Does this sound accurate or does the gain not make it worth the effort?

2. jscheef

jscheef Administrator
    Staff Member

Dragon,

With the cost of replacement batteries at $200 and more, anything that can prolong the life of a battery is worth the effort. What I have read about Li-ion care seems to agree with your info. Refrigerator storage seems a bit extreem, but I routinely use my laptops without the battery. I keep the battery charged to be ready when I need it.

This is an issue of convenience versus cost, but using the laptop with the battery removed seems like a small inconvenience with an easy payback.

Jim

3. dirkfeather

dirkfeather Member

This is pretty cool.

"The longest-lasting Mac notebook battery ever.
    Built right into each of the new MacBook Pro notebooks is a breakthrough battery that lasts dramatically longer and does so without increasing the size or weight of MacBook Pro. On a single charge, the battery in the new MacBook Pro lasts up to 7 hours (8 hours on the 17-inch MacBook Pro)1 and can be recharged up to 1000 times.2 That’s compared with only 200 to 300 times for typical notebooks. Advanced chemistry and Adaptive Charging allows the battery to maintain charging capabilities longer and determines the optimal way to charge the battery’s cells. Because the battery lasts up to five years, MacBook Pro uses just one battery in the same time a typical notebook uses three. That makes for less waste. And that, in turn, makes for one environmentally friendly battery."

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/features.html">http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/features.html</a><!-- m -->

4. dragonbite

It better last if it is built-in! I assume that means you can't change out the battery so when it's kaput, its kaput!

I sometimes with that April Fool's joke about a new laptop with a keyboard that takes the kinetic energy of the user pushing keys and transfers that energy back into the battery.

Kinda like the idea of having your blood pumping through your body go through a generator (like a dam or turbine) which charges the batteries to a prosthetic limb. It would be the ultimate hybrid! :yikes

5. jasetaro

jasetaro Administrator
    Staff Member

The battery can be replaced (iFixit.com has teardown instructions) but assuming the battery lasts for the advertised 5 years odds are you'll replace the laptop before you need to replace the battery. :)

6. dragonbite

Not necessarily. The laptops I'm fooling around with I think are 2003 models. :Wave Then again being a Linux guy, I still have the Pentium I w/MMX @ 233MHz system running Ubuntu server! :drunk

7. jasetaro

jasetaro Administrator
    Staff Member

Oh jeez, Linux guys... :tease :lol2 :run I just ordered a MacBook Pro replace my roughly 4 year old HP laptop. The HP works fine but bits a starting to fall off. That's never a good sign. :)