konsole goes into tight loop in Fedora 16 KDE spin

Discussion in 'Linux' started by jimkd1yv, Mar 20, 2012.

1. jimkd1yv

jimkd1yv Well-Known Member

Maybe we can discuss this at tomorrow's meeting, if time permits.

New installation of Fedora 16 KDE spin x86_64 on HP p6680t (leaving a long affair with Mandriva). All went well for about a day while I was configuring applications stuff.

Suddenly as soon as I started the system, it went into a tight loop. The drive light is on solid, and the keyboard lags behind for a couple of minutes. The mouse moves erratically, but does not respond to any clicks.

I have isolated the problem to the konsole. After about 10 minutes of a hung system, it settles down, but if I try to do anything at all in the konsole screen, the lockup resumes. Whatever I try to do may respond after a long wait, or may return an "insufficient memory to fork" error. If I close down the konsole, other applications (Firefox, Kate, Thunderbird) seem to behave normally.

I looked at /var/log/messages (an most everything else under /var) but did not see anything obvious there.

Here are the events that I think I remember leading up to the error.
    - Got into a big argument with SELINUX about adding a locally attached printer. Researched on the web and found that SELINUX was really a choice that many people bypass. I decided to do that. Edited /etc/selinux/config and changed the SELINUX = disabled . Rebooted.

- SELINUX stopped complaining, but CUPS was still throwing errors trying to configure the printer. Web suggested that these were related to SELINUX problems.

- Meantime, the notifier said that I had something like 117 updates to software. I guessed that may have been related to the removal of SELINUX. Still not sure. I applied the updates. Notifier said that I had to reboot, so I did.

That is when the problem started. I rebooted a couple of times, but no change. When I reboot into rescue mode, the terminal there runs fine, but when I reboot again back into KDE, it fails again.

I tried re-enabling SELINUX and rebooting; no change. I touch /.autorelabel; reboot but still the same error.

When the problem occurs, bash is consuming about 5 GB of memory (system has 6 GB installed). I trapped the running processes when this occurs. Sample is attached in a file. I have a suspicion about console-kit-daemon, but can't seem to deinstall or properly disable it.

Thanks to anybody who can point me where to look for this.

JimR

Attached Files:

2. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

I hear of issues with Nepomuk indexer.

If I can make it there tomorrow night I'll have my openSUSE KDE available so we can do a quick compare-and-contrast. Maybe something will stand out then.

What command did you execute to build your output?

3. jimkd1yv

Somebody on a Fedora forum gave me this script.
    This script will sample the largest process once a second and if it finds one larger then 1GB (1000000 1K pages) then it traps some information to the file /var/log/bigprocs.txt
    Be sure 'pstree' is installed or else replace that line with 'ps -aefl' .

#!/bin/bash
    exec >>/var/log/bigprocs.txt
    while true
    do
    LINE="$(ps -e -o rss,pid,cmd | sort -n | tail -1)"
    if [ $(echo $LINE|cut -d' ' -f1) -gt 1000000 ]
    then
    echo $LINE
    pstree -np
    exit
    fi
    sleep 1
    done

4. jimkd1yv

[SOLVED!] RE: konsole goes into tight loop in Fedora 16 KDE spin

I fixed it!

I've spent most of my free time this week poring over this. I was on the verge of reinstalling FC16, but really wanted to exhaust all other options first.

Tonite I decided to try this as a different user. Guess what? The problem did not happen as the other user. That helped me to determine that it must be something in the home directory of the users. I focused first on .kde stuff, but elimintated that. I then tried the ~/.bashrc.

In the bad user, I found 2 commands that were in there that were not in the good user. They were
    history -a
    history -n

These were commands from my previous distro to meld and commit the .bash_history file. Apparently FC is Very Unhappy with them.

I commented them out of the bad user's .bashrc, restarted all, and everything is back to Peace and Love and Flowers again.

What I don't understand is why this didn't affect me right out of the chute. I used the bad user account continuously, and used the konsole for many, many commands. The problem only suddenly appeared after a day and a half of active use.

Anyway, I am just thrilled that it is solved, and I can get on with real work.

Thanks to all who took the time to reply.

JimR