iTunes 8

Discussion in 'Apple' started by richardc, Oct 3, 2008.

1. richardc

richardc Administrator
    Staff Member

Has anyone else tried the new Genius feature in iTunes 8? I found it does a pretty good job of generating a playlist. For example, if I select a song by a French singer it looks for other French songs.

2. dacs96ed

dacs96ed Guest

Richard, Yes, I use Genius since I upgraded to iTunes 8. Thanks for last night's informative and enjoyable SIG.
    I noticed the name of a French album when you were going through your Library, "...de sens" or something similar. Which artist is that? I am always looking for good French music, for obvious reasons.
    Patrick

3. richardc

richardc Administrator
    Staff Member

It was probably Tous Les Sens by Ariane Moffatt. I was looking for a musical souvenir of Montreal and the guy at the record store recommended that one. She is a Quebecois singer.

4. Little Gadget

Little Gadget New Member

Hi Richard - thanks for activating my "post-ability"...
    It will probably be a while until I upgrade to Leopard, so I was wondering if you could see what the iTunes store "genius" function would suggest as similar to our band, "Luminaria"'s album, "Sea Waltz". If you were to check it out for me, would you have to own the music, or could you just be browsing on one of our songs in the store (try "Hornpipe") to see what else they suggest? This song is an arrangement of the traditional "Sailor's Hornpipe", so I would think that it would bring up quite a few other suggestions, but only if someone at iTunes had actually listened to it to discover that!

5. richardc

richardc Administrator
    Staff Member

Little Gadget,

I would have to have a song from the album in my iTunes music library to check it out for Genius suggestions. Although it's not the same as a Genius suggestion, if you have access to the iTunes store, they often have a Listeners Also Bought section on the right.

P.S. If you meet its system requirements (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.apple.com/macosx/techspecs/">http://www.apple.com/macosx/techspecs/</a><!-- m --> and I'd recommend at least 1 GB of memory), Leopard will be a very nice upgrade, even more so if you are coming from Panther (two versions back).

6. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

I'm curious how Genius compares to Pandora Radio.

I know that Pandora is a radio application and iTunes is a desktop application. I am just wondering about the relevancy of the suggestions.

7. richardc

richardc Administrator
    Staff Member

I think they are similar concepts. iTunes will take one song to generate a playlist from your own music, or suggest songs from the iTunes store that you don't yet own. With Pandora you only get to hear the suggestions one song at a time as a radio stream, and I think it learns what you like when you give a thumbs up or down on a song as it's playing.

8. richardc

richardc Administrator
    Staff Member

His name was Teddy Thompson. Hope you enjoy checking him out. You will probably find him with any search, but his Web site is http://www.teddythompson.com/. I started with his album Separate Ways, but also have his new one A Piece of What You Need.