Introducing the Google Chrome OS

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by dragonbite, Jul 8, 2009.

1. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

Sounds like things are heating up in the computer arena, though risky coming out almost a year after Windows 7 will be released (and bugs should be worked out and patches developed).

2. jscheef

jscheef Administrator
    Staff Member

Drew,

I honestly do not see Chrome OS as a big deal. It doesn't run Win32, which I realize is a good thing for some people, but that will prevent people from running their favorite applications. It will be interesting to see what can be run locally on the machines sold with Chrome OS preinstalled. The average user is not ready to do *all* his computing in the cloud. OTOH, Microsoft will have cloud versions of Word and Excel as part of Office 2010. Reports are that these run in Firefox already, so they may also run on Chrome. If they do it will help move the average user one step closer to the cloud and then Chrome OS may have a chance.

Chrome the browser is also off to a lackluster start. I don't use it because Roboform does not support it and I'll be damned if I'm going to try to type my passwords!

Jim

3. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

Considering it is basically Linux, then it will run basically whatever Linux can run but adds the marketing power of a "household brand name".

So even without Win32, it can do a heck of a lot and not everything has to run from the cloud. Just more and more things are moving that way.