I think my Hard Drive is dead

Discussion in 'Ask DACS' started by dragonbite, Apr 6, 2012.

1. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

I tried starting my computer and got the message "no operating system found".

Now I just tried booting up in a LiveCD and things don't look good. The menu of devices to boot from did not inlcude the hard drive, and the drive is making a clicking noise.

And the LiveCD (Ubuntu 10.04) does not see the hard drive either. :thumbsdown:

Thankfully I have another hard drive (with Linux on it).

Am I FooBar? Is there any recourse?

2. dragonbite

OMFG!

So, I took out a second hard drive and installed the Windows XP from the recovery disks. Took a while, but it worked.

Then I installed the Windows 7 update disks (the same one I used to upgrade this from Windows XP to Windows 7 in the first place).

I let it look for updates and agree to the licensing terms.

Since this is coming from XP to 7 I know that it has to wipe everything off the machine (or it can back it up to some file). So I select Custom (advanced).

Then it tells me it cannot install on either Disk Partitions because, get this,

Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. This hard disk space is formatted with an unsupported version of the NTFS file system. Please back up any data you have on this partition. Then, restart the computer using the Windows installation disk, perform a custom installation and reformat the hard disk partition.

I only have the Recovery disks and from the screen they boot up to it seems there is no option to manually edit or format any partitions. I did the command that wipes everything off, and it changed my partition scheme so I don't understand why it would still flub the NTFS formatting.

Any ideas of what I can do?

3. richardc

richardc Administrator
    Staff Member

Presumably you went through the upgrade process to Windows 7 before. What are you doing differently this time? Did the recovery disks somehow format the partition differently than what you previously had installed? Was the second hard drive added to the system, or is it replacing the original drive? If added, maybe the message indicates it is looking at the first drive, which is not in a healthy state. (Or does the first drive have Linux on it, which you mentioned in the first post?)

4. liquidlevel

liquidlevel Guest

Are you sure fat 32 isn't the file system that XP put on it? If you are sure that ntfs is the correct file system then get familiar with the command diskpart from the command prompt (use windows recovery if needed) select the drive and list the partitions and check the volumes. You can inactivate/active partitions and volumes with this tool. You may need to use the good old command of Bootsect /nt60 (whatever drive letter windows is on)

Just research these commands first though. You can really screw your system up if you don't know what you are doing.

FYI- if you hearing clicking then that drive is going to die

5. dragonbite

As only the honorable Dr. Bones McKoy can say with a straight face
    "He's dead, Jim."

When I got this Thinkpad it had Windows XP installed presumably from the included Recovery Disks (so that the previous owners files are wiped out). I did see that the disk was partitioned differently (previously it had Kubuntu Linux installed).

Windows XP worked fine and shows the disk to be healthy ntfs partitions which indicates it had to have been formatted because previously they was Ext4.

For my second try I first formatted the hard drive as a massive NTFS using a Linux LiveCD and then went through the process a second time. I got the same exact error.

Three time's a charm though!

I figured since the Windows 7 installation does not save any of the previous XP settings because I don't think it can go XP->7 directly but if it were Vista it could have done an upgrade. So I pulled out a Windows XP installation disk for a Dell I got years back and used that to install XP.

Naturally it didn't include the drivers for everything, so the screen did not reach to the edges, the network card wasn't discovered and I didn't even bother about the wireless. I just threw the Windows 7 DVD in and started the install. Everything went smooth and the error never showed up.

Thankfully Windows 7 includes more drivers out-of-the-box and I got at least NIC and Wireless running. Letting it look online for updates to the video card fixed the screen so it goes to the edge again. So now it is running fine and I haven't seen any hiccups yet.

It is strange that the recovery disks messed up on the ntfs format. Needless to say, I better image this hard drive to my file server before anything happens and I have to go through this again! :)

When I first posted this, though, I was very irate and frustrated. Now life is good.:yahoo:
    [hr]
    Heh heh... maybe after cloning the Windows 7 installation, I may be tempted to try the Windows 8 Preview on it and when I'm bored with it, or the preview period ends, revert to the Windows 7 image.

A Linux guy in the Windows world can be a dangerous, dangerous thing...