HELP WITH DREAMWEAVER!!!

Discussion in 'Ask DACS' started by SusanO, Oct 27, 2009.

  1. SusanO

    SusanO New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2009
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi.. I desperately need help with a Dreamweaver issue...

    I am using Dreamweaver MX version 6.0.. I use Windows Internet Explorer for my browser...

    The problem is this....

    Normally, when working on an htm page in Dreamweaver, you can depress F12 to view how it will appear 'live' in a browser...

    BUT..

    #1) When I depress F12, instead of being able to see my page, in the address line I get something with a path like this:

    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://ftp.fatcow.com/TMP849gks5ibp.htm">http://ftp.fatcow.com/TMP849gks5ibp.htm</a><!-- m -->

    AND..

    The page that is displayed says this:

    The website declined to show this webpage
    HTTP 403
    Most likely causes:
    This website requires you to log in.

    What you can try:

    Go back to the previous page.

    More information

    This error (HTTP 403 Forbidden) means that Internet Explorer was able to connect to the website, but it does not have permission to view the webpage.

    For more information about HTTP errors, see Help.


    #2) Also, when I depress F-12, my computer AUTOMATICALLY connects to the remote FTP server...

    If you are still with me... Here's how it started...

    I wanted to add a PAY PAL BUY IT NOW button on a web page. I was told to have a button generated through paypal and all I would need to do is cut and paste the code onto the page where I wanted the button displayed.

    I put the code on the page, but when I clicked F-12 to view on Internet Explorer, I saw the entire code.. not the button.

    So, I called my webhost and spoke with a tech who told me that the error had to do with the fact that the code was PHP. He told me to save the file as a PHP file and PUT it on the remote server. I tried, but DREAMWEAVER would not let me. Instead, I got a message giving me the option to "create a site" for the page. I clicked that.. I think that's what ruined everything..

    Is there any way to undo it? Better yet, are there any Dreamweaver freelancers I could hire to fix this for me?

    Thanks for any direction... I've been trying to find an answer for days...
     
  2. dragonbite

    dragonbite Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2008
    Messages:
    477
    Likes Received:
    3
    When Dreamweaver is displaying the page "live", I assume that it is running on your local system so that you have a preview, before you upload it to your site?

    Is your site totally dead from your "create a site"? If your site is dead from "create a site" is the one on the actual server dead too, or could you refresh your local development version with the production (live, on the server) version?

    If all of this started when you added the PayPal code, can you remove it and see if that puts everything back?

    I'm not too sure about what the code for PayPal is like, or how Dreamweaver runs things in preview mode (local IIS? Apache? some mini-server?) but there could be something that just doesn't like the persmission settings there, which would theoretically work on the live server, but you may want it to run in a test domain first (like dev.mywebsite.com for testing, and <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mywebsite.com">http://www.mywebsite.com</a><!-- m --> for the actual site).

    I guess I am looking for your current status (development messed up, live version good? both versions messed up? development restored, live untouched?) and what are the effects if you remove the PayPal code from the page and try again?

    ~Drew

    P.S. Anybody more experienced with Dreamweaver, please feel free to chime in. :)
     
  3. SusanO

    SusanO New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2009
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks for your response, Drew...

    All is in order.. i.e., the website is published, up and running from the server side.. and all my files are intact on the development side.. The only issue is not being able to view in a browser in the development stage..

    I did try to remove the code.. in fact, I removed the entire page.. which resulted in no change..

    What I have been advised is to simply delete the site definition in Dreamweaver and create a new one.. which (hopefully!) will eliminate any incorrect paths that inadvertently were copied in.. (I noticed that information was put into the TEST SERVER in the site definitions panel...)

    Thanks again for your advice.
     
  4. dragonbite

    dragonbite Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2008
    Messages:
    477
    Likes Received:
    3
    Glad to hear! :yippee
     
  5. SusanO

    SusanO New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2009
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hey, Drew... Just letting you know.. Problem resolved... Still not quite sure how it happened, but code was put into the Test Server in Site Definition... All I had to do was remove it and all is well...
    Thanks again for your support!
    Cheers! :Wave
     

Share This Page