Good Web Host for low impact website

Discussion in 'Ask DACS' started by dragonbite, May 1, 2012.

1. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

I am growing unhappy with my web host provider and am looking at alternatives to use. I am not as familiar with the registration process. I am alright with the programming, but not so much with the administration.

The $3.75/month price has been enticing but with issues showing up, it is growing to be not enough.

It is not a highly-active website and doesn't have anything fancy on it as of yet but I would like to have programming capabilities. I would like to use the same host for possible more complicated self-programmed web sites but that is not 100% mandatory.

I can deal with PHP & MySQL or Postgre or ASP.NET & SQL Server. The current site uses a little PHP but nothing that cannot be easily worked around. I just need to have easy access to upload pages.

I am even contemplating using Amazon's Web Services so if anybody has experience using them I would love to hear from you.

Who do you suggest, and what experience do you have with them?

2. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

Thanks to everybody at the General Meeting that helped with suggestions! It was a relief to know I had a support group to call on since I am not as involved with this aspect of IT.

The good news is that the site finally came up yesterday afternoon, sometime before 3 PM. Since it is my wife's business site and she just sent out a lot of promotional gear (fliers, etc.) this was not the best timing to go down!

I am still going to look at an alternative hosting company to move to within the next year or two. Other than this domain registration the site has been fairly stable. I get the impression that it is a small company with one, maybe a couple more, people in total. I have helped out somebody in town who is like that and I can see this happening in his office.

So I am still open to suggestions and ideas for hosts. Some of the features I am looking for include:
    • Email included, whether IMAP or POP (I currently have POP routing through a Gmail account)
    • PHP or ASP.NET server-side programming languages with a growing availability to advanced Javascirpt programming and HTML5 (server side includes, etc.)
    • Some database available on the back-end (MySQL, Postgre, SQL Server)
    • Available web statistics
    • FTP and/or SSH connectivity for uploading the files and managing the settings.
    I am not looking at a CMS, such as Drupal or MojoPortal, at this point, though that is an option if I find a configuration that is suitable for my needs. Right now the site is pretty basic with the largest use being the photo gallery (which needs massive improvement).

Also, are there any good articles, books, whitepapers or FAQ sections that can help go over the whole process or explain how this works without being too deep in technology yet is deeper than the 10,000 foot summary?

3. richardc

richardc Administrator
    Staff Member

As was mentioned at the general meeting, we are happy with Bluehost (http://www.bluehost.com/). They are very full featured, having pretty much all the features you mentioned. They support PHP and MySQL, and content management systems, like Drupal and WordPress. They have an interface called cPanel which allows you to set up one or more sites with your account. I myself had no previous experience with a hosting service, but have been able to find my way around by just hunting for things. When I get to a specific function there is enough online help to allow me to get the job done, whether it's setting up e-mail accounts or otherwise.

Pricing seems to vary a bit depending on when I look or what computer or browser I use, but you should be able to sign up for as little as $3.95 a month if you do a web search for "Bluehost coupon."