Games for Linux

Discussion in 'Linux' started by dragonbite, Oct 16, 2008.

1. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

I came across a few different sources that include games for Linux and thought it would be interesting to compile a list of Linux-friendly games (preferably Native and not running through Wine).

If we get the list big enough, that should show that Linux is a good platform for games!

Three Cool 3D Car Racing Games for Linux
    The page lists
    • TORCS
    • VDrift
    • SuperTuxKart[/list:u]

Also found a page called Ubuntu Game List which includes a number of games, listed by categories.

An I remember playing Wing Commander Priateer Gemini Gold that my roomate had on his computer. Now it's available for Linux, Mac or Windows!

I know there are others, and will add them as I find them. If you know of any then by all means, add them! Maybe it would help to put down what kind of game it can be categorized as well.

2. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

Tremulous, a first person shooter where you can play the human marines with gadgets and weapons or an alien with wall-crawling abilities and mutations into bigger and badder aliens!
    (also available for Windows or Linux)

Came across The Linux Game Tome which has a listing of games for Linux.
    The Linux Game Tome was started by Tessa Lau in 1995 when the phrase "Linux game" meant either sasteroids or xtetris. After two years of regular updates, the Tome started to sprout cobwebs as its creator lost interest in downloading the latest and greatest in Linux entertainment. Bob Zimbinski, in 1998, contacted Ms. Lau and created a new Linux Game Tome around the original data.