Dual Boot Windows 7 and Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows' started by dragonbite, Mar 14, 2012.

1. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

Taken from this article, How To Seamlessly Dual-Boot Windows 7 and Windows 8 (The Easy Way), where the steps are spelled out in more detail.

As always, BACK UP YOUR FILES BEFORE PROCEEDING! You are dealing with system level commands and one false move can make your system completely unusable. You have been warned.

Now, for some fun!
    1. Run diskmgmt.msc to go into the Disk Management screena
    2. Create a new VHD (Virtual Hard Disk?) at least 20 GB in size
    3. Initiate the disk and leave the partition style on the MBR
    4. Create an actual volume in your new VHD and format it as NTFS. Called it Windows 8 for easy identification.
    5. Open the Power Shell as Administrator
    6. Type “Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned” to change the execution policy to allow you to run scripts
    7. download this script from MSDN, and then move it to the root of the C: Drive
    8. In the properties for the script, click the Unblock button
    9. Mount the downloaded .ISO file (some instructions on how to do this can be found here)
    10. WARNING: This will install the Windows 8 DVD on whatever drive you specified! All Data will be lost if this is pointed to an existing drive, including the C:!! I am not to be held responsible for anybody destroying their system! Only perform these if you are confident, and know what you are doing!

Run
      Code:
      .\Install-WindowsImage.ps1 –WIM D:\Sources\Install.wim –Apply –Index 1 –Destination I:\
      where "D:\Sources\Install.wim" stans for the location of the mounted (Windows 8) DVD, and "I:" stands for the VHD you created in step 4 (or is it 2 you give it a drive letter?)
    11. In a command prompt, as the Administrator of the machine, type
      Code:
      bcdboot.exe I:\Windows (assuming that I:\ is the drive with Windows 8 on it).

When you boot up, you should see a screen like
    [​IMG]

The article has additional information like how to share files between your Windows 7 and Windows 8 systems.

Enjoy, and if you try this please make sure you tell us about your experiences!