Does anybody have experience with Photoshop Elements?

Discussion in 'Ask DACS' started by dragonbite, Dec 12, 2011.

1. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

My wife is a portrait artist and currently is moving over to Picasa. I wonder if Photoshop Elements may be a better choice for her but have no experience working with it.

Some of the things I wonder of Elements may be able to help with is taking these tasks and making them simpler and easier for a visually-orientated person to do quickly :
    1. Watermark: She wants to be able to place a watermark on the image before uploading anywhere, and to be able to design a fancy watermark and possibly control it's placement (at least have it placed more central than what Picasa provides)
    2. Emailing: To easily email pictures of the work-in-progress to clients. Ideally to be able to pick a picture and select email, put in their address and a message, and have the program auto-resize to a manageable one for sending. Picasa provides this, but I wonder if Elements has finer controls.
    3. Organizing: Photo management. Right now things are uploaded from the camera in a yyyy/mm/dd format, so being able to visually navigate and view the images, tag them for reference and/or edit the folder destination would allow her to use her visual accuety to organize them.
    4. Copy-and-Paste: Placing pictures into an Office document needs to be simple. Using Elements to find the pictures she wants, and being able to copy, go to an Office file and paste it would be ideal and attune to her visual thinking.

Things like uploading to Facebook or her own Website would be great, but are not requirements.

If anybody has experience with either performing these tasks, or with Photoshop Elements I would be interested in hearing your experiences.

2. jasetaro

jasetaro Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Drew, yes in my opinion Photoshop Elements is far better than Picasa. With regard to your questions:

1) You can easily create a watermark image in Photoshop Elements. However you can only add a text watermark to photos using Photoshop Elements batch processing features... To the best of my knowledge a graphic watermark would have to be added manually to each though. Lightroom or ACDSee Pro have better batch processing/watermaking capabilities IMO.

2) In Elements Organizer, select the photo(s) you want to e-mail and click Share > Email Attachments.

3) Element Organizer works pretty well, Lightroom, Aperture or ACD Pro are better IMO.

4) You can drag and drop images directly from Elements Organizer to Word.

Photoshop Elements also includes Facebook, Flicker & SmugMug integration.

HTH.

3. dragonbite

Thanks for the response!

Regarding the watermark, do you have options regarding font, size, orientation and style? Picasa only allows you to type the text portion, but positions it on the lower right-hand corner without any other formatting options.

I hope the batch processing for Watermarks can be included as part of emailing or uploading/publishing the images and not a separate step.

Speaking of emailing, do you have the choice of size the image emails?

Oh, and something I forgot initially, is an image viewer; does it open images and allow you to zoom into them full-screen? She uses the screen like a light box to sketch the outline of her subjects. I know that if I double-click on an image, the Picasa image viewer brings up the picture and allows a large range of zooming capabilities.

I don't know if she's ready for the more advanced programs. Ease of use for that which she uses it very important.

4. jasetaro

jasetaro Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, you can choose the font, color, opacity and position -- bottom left, bottom right or centered of a text watermark.

Not that I can find, Photoshop Elements is really two tightly integrated programs, Elements Organizer and Elements Editor... The batch watermarking feature is part of the editor, and doesn't appear to work in the organizer.

Yes, there are presets ranging from 320x240 to 1280x960 or original size.

Yes, Elements Organize has a full screen view/quick edit mode, with Elements Editor you can zoom to the pixel level if you want to.

Photoshop Elements is definitely going have a steeper learning curve than Picasa, but it's also more robust... As far as I know Picasa doesn't support RAW images or layers.

HTH.

5. dragonbite

Thansk for all this info. It makes me feel better about it and I think it will do alright.

She's currently using Shotwell on Ubuntu 10.04 so moving to PE or Picasa is likely not much different from where she's coming from.

6. jasetaro

jasetaro Administrator
    Staff Member

Check Amazon, they have a great deal ($74.99) on the Photoshop Elements/Premier Elements 10 bundle. They also several good books on Photoshop Elements -- Photoshop Elements 10: The Missing Manual by Barbara Brundage is excellent.

7. dragonbite

I don't know if Premier is really worth it for me.

8. jasetaro

jasetaro Administrator
    Staff Member

Amazon is selling Photoshop Elements alone for $64.99, or bundled with Premier Elements for $74.99... You're getting Premier Elements for 10 bucks, and you don't even have to install it, they're separate programs.