Chromebook for senior?

Discussion in 'General & Off-topic' started by jimkd1yv, Aug 21, 2013.

1. jimkd1yv

jimkd1yv Well-Known Member

My father-in-law (82 y/o) is in an assisted-living facility, and would like to have a laptop to do his web surfing and webmail activities. I am trying not to spend too much, and I see a lot of the low-end devices are Chromebook/Chrome OS.

He is used to a Windows desktop. Is the Chrome OS much of a transition? Does anybody have any additional suggestions? Also any suggestions toward a particular model are appreciated. A larger screen and larger keyboard would be useful.

Thanks,
    Jim Ritterbusch

2. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

The Chrome OS is a fair bit of transition, but the nice thing about it is that it is fairly simple to use. I have read a few people who have given Chromebooks to their parents and their parents love it. The simplicity is really an asset.

If he uses Chrome now for his Internet activities and has a Google account, then make sure his Chrome settings are synchronizing. That way if he goes to a Chromebook he will find it 99.9% just like his existing Chrome browser and if he switches back-and-forth they will keep in Sync (except for the bits built specifically for the Chromebook).

If he doesn't have a Google account or Chrome, then I would suggest he gets onto those and become familiar with them if you are seriously looking at the Chromebook. It will make migrating so much easier (like making Windows users use Firefox, LibreOffice and Thunderbird before moving them to Linux with Firefox, LibreOffice and Thunderbird installed)

I won't be at the next General Meeting, but usually I go to the meetings with the Chromebook and can show you the interface and its ease.

3. brooks@r1

brooks@r1 New Member

I was a chromebook rep for a company representing google...... The chromebook is great for seniors with one HUGE drawback. There is no remote access to the chrome book. This is a not a problem if you live near by your father in law.

I gave one to my grandmother and I can't remote in and show / fix things for her. I can change setting remotely using my chromebook but beyond that its been a challenge. It is nice to know though that she is virus free though.