CFBuilder

Discussion in 'Web Site Design' started by snh, Apr 1, 2010.

1. snh

snh Well-Known Member
    Director

Anyone else having configuration issues with ColdFusion Builder (CFBuilder aka 'Builder')?

I'm using: Gateway MX6436 laptop w/ upgraded RAM/HD, Windows XP Home SP3, ColdFusion 9 Developer Edition, SQL Server 2008.

Cannot get Builder to do jack squat. After 30 days I am very frustrated, especially after seeing the demo at NYCFUG and not being able to duplicate any of what I saw.

-S

2. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

Are you forgetting the 4 "R"'s of Microsoft troubleshooting? :help

• "R"estart the Applications :drunk
    • "R"estart Windows :bored
    • "R"einstall the Application :nervous
    • "R"einstall Windows :punch [/list:u]

Though my favorite is the 5th "R": "R"eplace Windows with Linux! :hug

Could also try the Free Eclipse plug-in CFEclipse if you are desperate. It won't have all of the features you're looking for probably, but may help in getting CFBuilder working?

3. snh

snh Well-Known Member
    Director

I ended up not using CFBuilder much. I still fire it up on certain tasks in the hopes that something might "click" and it will become for me all things it has for others. The problem may be I am trying to run it on a server OS, not a workstation or laptop.

For anyone considering using CFBuilder (or CFEclipse or Eclipse), here are some things to consider:

Eclipse-based IDEs are not the tool to use if:

* If your application is old, large and sprawling and not currently in an IDE
    * If you normally work on the server itself where the development code resides (Eclipse cannot use the webroot as the working directory)
    * If you regularly use custom macros
    * If you regularly use external .bat files that modify the editing buffer
    * If you regularly use external .bat files that do jobs such as file archiving invoked from the editor/IDE
    * If your "projects" do not fit neatly into a single directory
    * If you normally type faster than 15wpm
    * If your current scheme of editor, FTP client, and other tools are finely tuned and doing fine
    * If you have a large personal library of code snippets and do not care for or often use code-assist

Eclipse-based tools may be a good choice if:

* Your projects are small-ish, and fit inside single directories or a directory hierarchy
    * You are undecided or just beginning to pick a new editing environment
    * There is a specific Eclipse-based plug-in desired that is not found in another editing environment
    * You are not good at, or don't particularly care about file-handling details
    * A slow typist
    * Not overly familiar with the code, database or language you are writing and depend on code-assist type features

If all else fails, the advice I got from Adobe was to visit eclipse.org, which I thought was hilarious.