Canonical closing down Ubuntu One

Discussion in 'Linux' started by dragonbite, Apr 4, 2014.

1. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

Ubuntu's own cloud-storage service tied in with its Linux distrubiton is going to be closing down!

http://blog.canonical.com/2014/04/02/shutting-down-ubuntu-one-file-services/

While on the one side this demonstrates the issue of trusting your files to a cloud service provider, at least since it synchronizes the files you don't loose your local copies, just the files stored online.

That being said, if you are looking for an open source Cloud storage solution the most popular, and sure to be growing with former U1 users, is ownCloud. There is ownCloud.org for the community version and ownCloud.com for enterprises and commercial use.

I don't know about you, but this is giving me incentive to set up an ownCloud server to get comfortable with it, and if I get really, really daring may even place it on a public server.

2. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

I found something to help ease moving everything out of Ubuntu One before they close it down; Mover.io. It moves the files from Cloud Service to Cloud Service without having to use your account as an intermediary.

Some of the benefits of Mover.io:
    • Does not use your computer in-between. Once sheduled to run it goes server-to-server and can alert you via email when it is done.
    • It can be scheduled to run immediately, run at a specified time or run on a recurring basis (like a dialy, weekly, monthly or yearly backup?)
    • You can Archive (zip) the file before transfer (saving on space on the destination)
    • You can choose to do in increments, and only those files changed since the last scheduled copy will be copied
    • They have 22 different "Connectors" that you can copy into or out of.

If you want to use this for Ubuntu One, they have not publicly announced it yet but you can contact them at support@mover.io and request to use it. It seems to have worked fine with my Ubuntu One being copied into my Copy.com account.

I got mine working through my Copy.com account, so it hasn't cost me money yet but otherwise it does get a bit pricey at $15/month (and up). If you are using this as a backup solution, then that price makes a little more sense. It appears, though, they may offer 1 scheduled move and 2GB for free. I don't know if this is monthly, though.

Mover.io is able to copy into and out of the following "connectors":
    GreenQloud, Yandex Disk, Office 365, Sharepoint, FTP, Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, OneDrive, Copy, Webdav, Amazon S3, Rackspace, Egnyte, MySQL, SugarSync, SmugMug, SFTP, Dreamhost, Media Temple & Openstack.