Cannot Install MSO2K3 on Virtual XPP

Discussion in 'Virtual Computing Workshop' started by snh, Oct 11, 2009.

1. snh

snh Well-Known Member
    Director

2009-10-10. I'm having serious problems trying to install Microsoft Office 2003 Professional (MSO) on a virtual fresh (vanilla) base XP Pro SP2 (XPP) installed virtually. Putting the install media in my laptop without VMWare fired up did not launch the autorun, nor was the CD explorable, nor did d:\setup.exe do anything. Ditto after firing up VMWare Player 2.5 (VMP).

I thought my copy of MSO was currupt, so I tried it downstairs on my basement PC and it launched right away. I aborted that session and thought "what to do now?"

So I installed VMP on the basement PC, moved the VM (XPP) to the basement PC. Fired up VMP/XPP, and lo, no autorun. Closing out of XPP/VMP, I tried to launch the MSO install and no go. Rebooted and tried to launch MSO install just to see if the VMP install mucked up the autorun. Autorun was now thwarted (at least for that CD/drive)(permanently?) but was able to launch installer by double-clicking setup.exe.

FYI: VMP crawls on basement PC
    Gear list:
    Basement: whitebox, Celeron 2Ghz, 512MB, 40GB, XPH SP3
    Laptop: Gateway MX6436 (AMD Sempron 2Ghz) with upgraded HD (100GB 7200RPM), DVD-burner, RAM (1.5GB), fresh install of XPH, VMP 2.5.

SUMMARY: If I cannot get MSO installed on the virtual XPP, then I'm probably going to drop the idea of having a VM of XPP.

RANT: For all the effort, probably could have just trashed both machines and purchased new gear with XPP/MSO pre-installed. The aggravation level with this VM project is high right now.

-S

2. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that VMWare, by default, asks or tries to turn off autorun when you install it. They might think it wouldn't be so hot to have 5 virtual machines running and all of them are trying to auto-run the CD at the same time! :yikes

Make sure the VM can see the CD-Rom, or you may have to "connect" it in the management screen. I am pretty sure that USB is not enabled by default but is easy enough to do (while the VM is turned off).

What about putting the contents of the disk or sharing the disk drive and trying to connect to it over the network or even USB key?

You can also always try VirtualBox, which is cross platform (Apple, Windows, Linux, Solaris, etc., so it is REAL cross-platform) and sounds like it is lighter than VMWare.

3. snh

snh Well-Known Member
    Director

This issue was a bad piece of real estate on the HD.

When MSO installs, it copies/extracts files to a temp dir then verifies the extracts against some resource. If there's a bad sector (or whatever) the checksum comes up bad and the MSO installer hangs.

How it does this on mearly booting the Autorun is beyond me, but $40 to MS paid support and 3 hours later, the MS tech figured out the bad sector issue and instructed me to use a good computer to copy the MSO disk contents to a USB key or whatever, and install from there. That worked and now I have a good copy of MSO on my virtual XPP. Wish I had contacted MS support about it earlier - it would have saved my Labor Day.

For those wondering if MS paid support is a good deal or not, in this particular case, I thought it was a good deal.

Now: What to do about the suspect HD on my laptop... hmmm. Chkdsk does not seem to be able to find/fix the problem.

-S