Beware of IE8

Discussion in 'Windows' started by rlimbaugh, Jun 6, 2009.

1. rlimbaugh

rlimbaugh Member

IE8 seemed to install fine until my machine was rebooted... all files and shortcuts on my desktop were deleted. In the process of attempting recovery. STRONGLY suggest not installing IE8.

2. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

For work I installed IE 8 and it went through alright (the second time around).

Just wish it would be faster than this. Opening up a new tab is a trial of patience! :yikes

I'll stick with Firefox, or Opera if I must (or Chrome if I really have to)

3. jasetaro

jasetaro Administrator
    Staff Member

:yikes Whoa... I installed IE8 on two XP boxes and a Windows Vista box without any problems. YMMV though.

That said, I'm not crazy about IE8, as Drew mentioned opening a new tab is painfully slow and I've run into wide array of page rendering problems (some of which are solved by using "compatibility mode").

I'd recommend staying with IE7 or switching to Firefox.

4. rlimbaugh

rlimbaugh Member

Even more bizarre.... after another reboot, all the missing files and icons from the desktop are back. Seems perhaps maybe a 'Computer must be restarted to complete installation' would have been in order. The machine in question is running Vista Ultimate 32-bit.

5. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

When I first installed it, I ended up with IE 7! :?: It said something about removing IE and then I had to reboot. It was tempting, though, to NOT continue with the installer on reboot and see if it actually removed IE.

Highly doubt it, probably keeps the basic version that comes with XP, ver. 5 maybe, but still tempting.