Apple's iPad

Discussion in 'Polls' started by dragonbite, Feb 1, 2010.

?

What do you think of Apple's iPad?

1. Cool! Gimme, gimme, gimme.. I want one!

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Meh.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Looks kinda cool. I may not go out and buy one but if one landed in my lap I'd have fun with it.

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  4. I'm waiting until they hack it and announce they have Linux running on it.. should take about a week

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. iPad? Is that for iFootball players to wear to keep from getting virtually hurt?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I think it is a neat concept, and more things will go this way but this version of iPad just "isn't

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Give me my Kindle, or give me dea-*

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other (describe in a post below)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

Are you interested in or think you may purchase Apple's new iPad, or do you think it will be Apple's "Vista" to bring them back to reality?

Oh, and for those people intersted, within a day of the iPad SDK was released the MonoTouch people were able to set it up so you can do your .NET programming to run on the iPad (in addition to the iPhone).

2. jasetaro

jasetaro Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm on the fence about the iPad, at first glance it looks like nothing more than a oversize iPod Touch, but it's not really that simple. If Apple's own iWork apps are any indication the iPad has enough horsepower to run some fairly sophisticated apps. It'll be interesting to see how things shake out.

FWIW you might want to check out Fraser Speirs' take on the iPad:

You can read his full essay here: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://speirs.org/blog/2010/1/29/future-shock.html">http://speirs.org/blog/2010/1/29/future-shock.html</a><!-- m -->

3. dragonbite

Capability-wise, I think it should be thought of as a netbook level, but with the form factor and interface being different.

I've figured that the future would be instead of computers all over the place, you would take your *phone, sit it in a cradle and use a full-sized keyboard, mouse and display for work, home, etc. Then when it is time to go you pick it up out of the tray and can still view your work, carry it with you, etc.

Too bad I didn't blog this idea when I first had it so I could refer to the time-stamp! :nono :angry

It may grow more popular as people get a chance to "feel" it, providing it is comfortable in the hand for use.

I would not be nearly so against it, though, if it were to "play nice" with Linux. It doesn't have to RUN Linux, but if it plays nice with Linux then I may be more tempted. Alas, Apple doens't like Linux.

4. dragonbite

Actually, the piece of news is not the product.. it's the CHIP!

Usually at these announcements, I find that there is bigger story behind the story. Like the first iPod coming out paved the way on how seamless integrations can look.

The iPad, though, is running its own Apple chip! I've read that Apple pulled a big-chip-wig from IBM a while back, and the rumors that they were looking at making their own chips so they could control (-er, I mean "integrate") everything more tightly for performance purposes.

How this chip does is probably going to be more important news than the actual product. If it succeeds and they are able to get it to run faster, cooler and more efficiently then chances are the iPod touch and iPhone will be the next to get it before it moves into mainstream products like the MacBooks and iMacs.

5. jasetaro

jasetaro Administrator
    Staff Member

Not really, the A4 is an ARM based processor, it may eventually find it's way into other mobile devices like the iPhone or iPod Touch but I doubt very much it'll ever match the performance of the Intel processors Apple uses in their desktop systems.

It would also negate one strongest selling points of Macs... The ability to run Windows and the Mac OS side by side.