Apple and iPhone.. who's is it really?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by dragonbite, Apr 9, 2010.

1. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

Apple is locking down it's iPhone to only allow applications programmed in C/Objective C and Javascript. So not only do they tightly control WHAT you can install (via the App store) but they control what you are allowed to program it with!

Not only does this mean you cannot use Flash, it also means you cannot use Unity3D, Flash CS5, MonoTouch, HaXe and other static-compiters or trans-compilers like XMLVM. :help Source Article here.) The linked article also states
    What gets me is this doesn't seem like the best time for them to go all xenophobic, with Android gaining popularity, and the popularity of the iPad is going to likely suffer and it doesn't have a lot of laurels to rest on! Although the other side of the coin could be they best do it now while they have the sheep (-er, I mean "user") base to lose!

What you your thoughts? Is this just a case of whining because somebody is keeping a popular product stable :Wave , or is this a meglo-maniac slowly slipping out of control :twisted: ?

2. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

Wow! Apple really has a racket!
    (emphasis added by me)
    So basically it sounds like Apple has god-powers over YOUR phone :help :yikes :nono :angry ?!!? Can anybody confirm this? Can anybody DENY this :twisted: ?

If it is true, this is really, really sad! :punch And people complain about Microsoft's monopoly? The angst needs to change directions to the next (potential) bully on the block!

3. jasetaro

jasetaro Administrator
    Staff Member

As I understand it, yes, it's true they can remotely uninstall apps from the iPhone... It's also old news, this was all discussed when the iPhone was first introduced. IIRC the capability was included as a security measure so that Apple could quickly kill a rogue or malicious app. AFAIK it's never been used.

On a related note Apple CEO Steve has posted an open letter offering his "Thoughts on Flash":

Read the rest @ <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/">http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/</a><!-- m -->

Personally, I'm not crazy about Apple's obsessive "controll freak" culture, but at the end of the day what matters is that devices work reliably. I've had Palm devices, Windows Mobile devices and now and iPod Touch... The iPod touch isn't perfect, but it works and thus far it been far more stable and reliably than any of my previous mobile devices. So maybe there is something to be said for Apple's obsessiveness.