Adding Clipart to OpenOffice.org

Discussion in 'General & Off-topic' started by dragonbite, Mar 17, 2010.

1. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

Clipart is one of the few things really missing from OpenOffice.org and this really comes to light to me because the kids look for MS Word so they can mix clipart and text. Sadly OpenOffice does not make this easy and doesn't seem to think it is an issue.

I did, however, find a wiki site on adding Clipart to OpenOffice and it uses the very HUGE library of free ClipArt form Open Clip Art Library which is released as Public Domain.

The entire Wiki can be found here: How to Add Clipart to OpenOffice.org

1. From the Open Clip Art Library's Packages page, download the Full Release (with PNG). It comes in .zip, .tar.gz and .tar.bz2 formats.
    2. Extract the file (you may want to put this in a user-accessible location if you have more than one user on your machine, unless you want to be selfish ;) )
    3. Launch OpenOffice Writer
    4. Go into Tools > Gallery
    5. Click to Create a "New Theme"
    6. Click "Find Files" (you may have to point to where you've extracted the files)
    7. Click "Add All", this should import all of the clip art files

Now I don't have OpenOffice in front of me at this time, but I'll be trying this out when I get home so I don't know if OpenOffice referres to the clip art where they are located, or if they import them into some application data section for the entire OpenOffice program.

2. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

A quick look through the OpenOffice website yielded this page, which more-or-less recommends using Extensions to add clip art galleries. What gets me is why something as open as Open ClipArt is not available.

The OpenOffice page is Clipart Galleries.

Unfortunately the only gallery extensions available are