A Quick Look at Windows 8

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by jasetaro, Aug 20, 2012.

1. jasetaro

jasetaro Administrator
    Staff Member

Here's an interesting video on Windows 8 from the guys at Tested.com:

I'm not really sure what to say other than :rolleyes2: :icon_confused:

#1 jasetaro, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  2. dragonbite

dragonbite Well-Known Member

I like the tour and seeing it in action. I am glad they are not overly negative or positive, more neutral and informative. Look forward to getting my hands on a real one such as MS Surface probably in the Microsoft Store.

For actually getting one, that largely depends on the pricing. Rumors (however unlikely) are saying $199 for the Windows RT (ARM chip, more locked down than Win8Pro on Intel). Of course, without Office 2013, the usefulness of any Windows 8 is severely reduced.

I may prefer this layout because I am a more of a visual person? My wife is very visual, so it would be interesting to see what she thinks of it.

Then again, the Linux desktop interfaces has been changing so much lately with Gnome-shell (Gnome 3), Unity and KDE 4 that my interest in Windows 8 is not very unlike trying a different Linux distribution or desktop environment. Don't know how long before I lose interest, though.

Because for the past year has had to try and get used to a different interface with Gnome, surprisingly Windows 8 "Modern" (can't say "Metro" anymore because of legal reasons) is making more sense.

Oh, and keep in mind that this is "new". It's taken Linux over a year of fighting to get the Gnome & Unity environments to where they are now and they still have a long ways to go.

3. jasetaro

jasetaro Administrator
    Staff Member

Here's another take on Windows 8:

Ouch! :surrender: